Should I allow my brother to drive my car?

I recently bought a car with a bank loan...so, I am making payments every month. I trusted my mom and step-dad to "keep my keys hidden" and no one drives it while I am at University.

I live 4 hours away and I recently got a call from my aunt saying that my brother was driving my car. I confronted my mom and him...basically, his girlfriend (who has a child with him) left him. So, he needs a car to take my nephew places in case of Emergency.

I know my brother. He has gotten fired from numerous jobs after a month of working, he drives recklessly, and he uses his "depression" as his excuse.

Is it my responsibility as a sister to allow my older brother to drive my car for the next 3 months? Although he said he will give me $100 each month, I do NOT trust him. Should I make plans to go back home and park it here at college?

NO WAY.  I have 5 brothers and 5 sisters, 2 sisters and 2 brothers are irresponsible, and the 2 brothers have had a DUI.  It does not matter, even if they all were perfect drivers.  If you allow someone to use your car, you are legally responsible for any accident they get into.  An insurance company is going after whoever owns the car.  They will include the driver in a lawsuit, but in the end the accident will be on your credit, on your insurance history, meaning your insurance will go up. and if the the lawsuit wins more then the insurance pays out you are on the hook. Meaning you will have to file for bankruptcy.  And if your brother does not have a lic: or his lic: is suspended, You could also go to jail allowing an unlic; person to drive your car. I understand, it will be hard, for your brother, and maybe your mom, But it is a big risk.  That I would not take with 4 of my siblings. The others maybe.  But I am old now. If I was under 35 no way.  

NO, no you are not. Yes or take and put it in storage, you can't trust your mom. Let her let him have her car.

bring car with you

If I ever bought something that moves, and uses a key then I would hide the key somewhere where only I would know where it is unless if I would be using it.

Making payments every month is not wise, for your car loan. What if something bad happens to it while you are still making payments on it then you might end up not having anything, and you still have to repay your loan. I wonder what would happen to you if you could not pay back your loan, or you chose not to pay it back.

• ?

It's likely your brother is not a covered driver on your insurance policy. Should he have an accident, your insurance will not pay. Should he total the car, you would be on the hook for the balance of the bank loan. You should go get the car.

I'd take the keys completely away from everyone in the household. Why don't you just drive your car to school? If that's not possible, find another place to store it while you're gone. Your brother seems irresponsible to me... you said he's older than you and he doesn't have a car? But he has a kid? Gee, that's pathetic

I would. If he is not on your insurance and gets into an accident and it's his fault the insurance will not pay and you would be libel!!!

I wouldn't let him drive it if you feel as though it is risky. I would personally hide the keys and tell him to get his own car, a bike, or borrow your parents car

Make absolutely sure that his name is on your insurance policy, and that his details are true and correct. If so, and you don't need the car, the money might be useful as long as he does actually pay it; ask him to pay each month in advance. However, if he is not insured it could well cost you a great deal of money! If he drives the car without your permission, that is almost certainly a criminal offence depending on the Law where you live. 

• Rick

It's your car and it's your choice about who drives it.  If you can't trust them to make sure no one else drives it, it would be best to either park it at college or make other arrangements for it.