promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which folders to back up on my PC hard drive?

Which folders in the C drive are the most important to back up and/or require backing up, if it breaks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Depends on what you are trying to back up.  

Usually the most critical folders are not the ones that allow Windows to boot.  But the ones that hold your data.  You can easily repair Windows with the "reset"r feature build into Windows.  But you can not recover your data.

So the critical folders to back up are the "Documents", "Pictures", "Videos", etc folder that hold your data.

You can not back up the Windows folders.  Because files in it are always in use in order to run Windows, you can not copy them.  You would need to use a software that makes an image of your entire hard drive to back up the Windows program.  If you have a backup software (that may have come with your external drive when you purchased it) that software can make such an image.  But you can not manually back up the Windows folder by itself.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Rename the file to <original file name>.BAK [a .BAK file extension denotes a BACKUP file]

• 2 months ago

Those are the system files, backup the whole HD.

• Dick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should use software to accomplish your backups and not selecting them piecemeal.  A backup should be all encompassing and be consistent in what it backs up.  Here's a FREE piece of software that will do a good job for you and it's totally free, reliable, and from a reputable source.  Give it a shot it will do the job for you.  Hope this helps.   >>>>>  https://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Backup-Free/...   <<<<<

Source(s): 34 Years Computer Experience & IT Support
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

At the very least, make a backup of your important files, like documents, pictures, etc. If you want a more comprehensive backup, use software like Acronis TrueImage or EaseUS Todo backup or any reputable backup software.

• 2 months ago

if it breaks, you'll want all of them

• Pete L
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Your private ones you want to keep, photos, documents anything you can't replace if everything goes pear shaped.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

you should use a utility to make a backup disk image of the entire drive

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

i've got a copy of norton ghost i've been using for i don't know how many years.  but to be honest i don't know if it's even published any more.  it just works, and i've never updated it.  there's lots of others like it i'm sure

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.