Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 2 months ago

Why do white people eat such bland foods such as unseasoned mash potatoes and steamed veggies?

In general most white people don't really season their food. Just salt and pepper. There's not much flavour when compared to Indian, Mexican or Thai food. I think the exception would be Italian cooking. Lots of herbs and spices. I think I'm mainly reffering to white Americans. Do people not crave flavourful food?

• That ain't true. When I grew up in New York even in the 40s and 50s we had plenty of cayenne pepper, hot sauce, mayonnaise, garlic, peppers and other spices and sauces. It was other us states and the rest of europe, Canada and Australia etc that ate extremely bland food right until the 80s!

You're thinking of old white americans. The younger generation likes to have flavor and culture in their food. Thank god.

• Well I'm about to be 80 this year and I love spicy foods I even ate it when I was a kid in the 40s!

I find that Whites here in the North don't really season food. I am from the South and most White people there don't tolerate bland food. So yeah i t just depends on where you are.

• Really? I'm From ny visited the south in the 60s and found the food very basic. Now they improved! 

• denise

People like what they like, no matter their race or creed!

• Anton

Eh -- you are an anonymous racist troll.

" Indian, Mexican or Thai food " is spicy to cover up the rotting meat.

I know of no one that eats unseasoned mash potatoes -- minimum they use butter, milk, salt, pepper.  Many add garlic, herbs, cheese, sautéed onions, etc....

• Kevin2 months agoReport

Butter milk and cheese is not seasoning 

I don't know but this isn't true for me. I use a lot of garlic, onions, fresh herbs and also i buy seasonings. I love garlic, especially. I eat a lot of meat and enjoy different herbs and spices

Well the girl in Singapore

was saying how salty American food are...

You have to get use to not eating salty food.

Just eat the potatoes and veggies,, you will be surprise how tasty they really are without the salty stuff.

Reason why our food is so salty, because of preservative. To keep food to last long.

That is why we are used to eating these salty food...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQVl5IE12QA

Youtube thumbnail

&pbjreload=10

I'm a white American and think you generalize too much.

I just had scrambled eggs topped with Cholula.

My idea of a great place for breakfast depends on whether or not they automatically have some brand of hot sauce on the table.

I put Zatarain's seasoning in my mashed potatoes, and often bake chicken or salmon after marinating them in Tabasco Chipotle.

• Sandy

I didn't say I was "special" - just saying the poster is making generalizations and not all "white people" like bland food.

• Because we don't need to hide the awful flavor of spoiled foods in order to make them more palatable.

However, the idea that white people don't use seasonings is ridiculous.  We use plenty of herbs and spices.  What we don't do is saturate food with a bunch of herbs and spices.  We have this crazy thing we like to do where we taste the food we're eating.

When your food actually tastes good, you don't need spices.

Spices were originally used to cover up the flavor of tainted meat.