sree asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

my computer runs on 8GB of RAM currently and i'm thinking to upgrade it to 16GB, will that help me to run my laptop smoothly?

i usually run the softwares like, Photosop, lightroom, AutoCad, Sketchup, Rhino, Pr, Ai, Id, Lumion, Chrome and the office tools and often see the RAM reaching up to 7 GB. although the laptop doesn't get stuck i could notice a huge lag when i'm trying to use some of the above apps run simultaneously 

It is rare for you to actually need more than 8 GB of RAM, but here is a little-appreciated fact.  If you are running Windows XP, 7, 8, or 10 then you are running a virtual demand-paging system that uses memory as a secondary cache for recently used blocks of disk data.  (Modified Page List and Free Page List)  Adding memory will help a machine with 7 GB active memory.

I doubled my system's RAM to 16 GB when I recently did an upgrade to an SSD.  Using the performance monitor and other tools, I have determined that my "true" memory load based on what I have running most of the time is about 12 GB.  So when I had 8 GB of RAM, about 1/3 of my true load was what is called "outswapped."  If I needed it, the system would have to outswap something else to make room and then inswap whatever it was I needed.

There is an old rule of thumb that says "when a system swaps, the world stops."  So the things that cause swapping are having too many things open at once causing your memory load to exceed the size of physical memory.  You can attempt to trim your startup tasks or you can do something to upgrade your physical RAM.

The typical way to look at what happens here is

(a) If what you want is in memory and allocated to you, the time to access it is in some small number of nanoseconds, possibly fractional nanoseconds.

(b) If what you want is in memory but not currently allocated to you, the time to access it is in a small number of microseconds because a memory management action has to occur - but no disk read is involved.

(c) If what you want is NOT in memory then the time to access it will be in a small number of MILLISECONDS as represented by the time to execute a disk read.

If you look at those numbers, the memory management event is 1000 times slower than the simple access case.  But the disk read is 1000000 (1 million) times slower.  So try to not overload memory and your system will zip along at its best possible rate.

• hart

to many programs you create a software conflict

RAM don't help

• Shadow

Adding more RAM will assist in simultaneous tasks. Getting a SSD, as suggested by other answers, is unnecessary. 

Basically, the program and the files you are working on are loaded into RAM in order to speed up the usage of them and allow for a smoother experience. When the system runs out of RAM (usage greater than 80%), it starts transferring what is considered older or no longer required or less important files from RAM to the slower Page File, which is located on the HDD/SSD.

The more RAM you have, the more files and data can be stored in it and the smoother the experience will be. I ran my system with 16GB RAM and at times the system would hang, become sluggish or the apps would crash. I changed the HDD to a SSD. Minor improvement but the initial problem was still there. I then changed the system to a NVMe SSD. Same result. I finally upgraded the RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Problem resolved. 

Before anyone says that it's because my CPU is too slow or I have a bottleneck, here are my system specs:

CPU: Core i7 7700k

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400

HDD: 1TB NVMe + 1TB SSD + 4TB IronWolf HDD (Yes I know IronWolf drives are apparently "slower" than Barracuda drives.)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650Ti with 4GB VRAM

OS: Windows 10 Pro v1909

No overclocking, 16GB Paging File which has since been turned off after RAM upgrade.

Go to crucial.com and put in the model and make of your laptop,they'll tell you how much ram you can install.You can also let them scan your laptop and tell you exactly what you computer can handle.I would also install a solid state drive to help speed your system up.

• Hockey

More RAM is always better, but an SSD disk will help even more.

• John

I'm guessing, from your RAM, that you might even be on a 32 bit system. Whether true or not I'd suggest a new computer if you are running those things with any regularity. Rhino alone (the biggest memory hog you list) can easily exceed your available memory. I upgraded my Rhino just the other day and it is native 64 bit now. Much more money and lots of trouble but you just gotta do these things once in a while. The 8 GB of RAM suggests this. If it's fairly new and you just got screwed on memory then sure, just add some more. 

It would seem you have 1GB to spare. I would say that if things speed up by just closing down one lightweight app that maybe the extra RAM my help. It is possible your hard drive could be the bottleneck if you don't have an ssd. Whenever I have had RAM issues, I never has 1GB left to spare, it was nearly all taken up and adding the extra RAM certainly fixed the issue in those cases. I can only say that if you are pushing 7GB, it's not a bad idea to add more.

• Murzy

More ram is always a good investment.

• Nancy

Seriously?  I remember when I upgraded my laptop from 8 gigs of RAM to 16 gigs-- back in 2007!  That was three laptops ago.  I don't even know how you're running anything today on only 8 gigs of RAM.

• Ron75

It would most likely help some. I know when I up graded the memory in one of my computers from 16 to 32 gig it helped but there are other things that may help also. Make sure your disk is as free of unused files as you can and clean the computer up at least weekly.

Ron