Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 2 months ago

Is Acting a Glamorous Job?

If not, what other jobs are more glamorous than acting?

I am interested in limelight, going to fancy events, getting attention, getting clothes to wear, getting free stuff, and modeling.

What jobs can I do that with?

• Verity

"Even with a turkey that you know will fold--you may be standing out in the cold--

still you wouldn't trade it for a sack of gold

Let's go on with the show"....

-Irving Berlin, "There's no business like show business", "Annie Get Your Gun"

• Lili

Acting is hard work.  Yes, it may be temporarily glamorous if you're attending some red carpet event, but most of the time, it's just work. And most people who try to become actors don't make it.

Modeling is a very finite career.  I modeled in my late teens but recognized that if I tried to stay in the field, I'd be washed up by 25. I went to college and grad school instead.  I have some friends who did try to remain models.  One made the transition into television work -- she hosted cable shows -- but then went into business for herself. That was much more satisfying. The others found that no one was really interested in them past their mid-20s.  One did stay in touch with her agency and started getting bookings again in her 50s, when advertisers and designers wanted older models, but by then, "glamour" wasn't her motivation for accepting the jobs.  She'd been married and raised children and wanted to go back to doing something other than staying home with the kids and volunteer work.

Become an event planner.  You could end up working on some glamorous events,

but you'd also have a real career.

No. And there's no such job. No one will pay you to go to fancy events and get free stuff. That's basically what you're asking for.

Those people with the "glamorous jobs" have very demanding jobs. It's 99% hard work (which comes at the expense of sleep, hanging out with friends, family events, weekends, or just relaxing at home watching TV) IF and AFTER they become famous. It's 100% hard work if you don't become famous. 0000.1% of people who pursue those jobs (like acting, modeling, singing, etc.) don't become famous and never will. The vast majority will get as far as minor speaking or non-speaking roles on small production no one ever hears of. And the 0000.1% who do become famous, the "glamorous" part (going to events, getting attention, wearing fancy clothes, walking on red carpets, meeting fans, taking interviews...) is maybe 1% of their life. Only 1% "glam" for only 0000.1% of those who pursue those jobs - at best! And it comes with loneliness, depression, anxiety, exhaustion - just like in "regular jobs". The difference is, you never know if you ever get another day of work in these "glamorous" jobs. Even if you become famous, one day you might have to take a "glamorous" job as a cashier where people will look at you trying to figure out where they know you from.

So aside from the fact that you need to be that lucky to get to the top and stay there, you need to work your *** off just to try. And quite frankly you don't seem to be the type to like hard work. Are you going to spend 10 or 20 years (at least!) working just(!) to get the opportunity? For instance, are you going to spend a decade building a strong resume JUST to be considered by legit agents (you can't go to any real auditions just like that, they're not open to the general public)? And spend probably tens of thousands of dollars for it? Are you going to attend a serious acting school for a few years? And pursue small acting jobs like student and indie films? Are you going to do theater work (as opposed to TV and movies)? Are you going to take extra classes such as vocal, dancing, dialects, martial arts, horseback riding, etc.? Are you going to handle constant rejection, judgement of you looks, talent, and skills? Are you going to maintain physical AND mental health, are you going to eat healthy and exercise regularly? Are you going to do all of that while also working at your day job (like waiting tables)? And if you're not in LA, are you going to pack up, say goodbye to all of your family and friends and move to LA to live in a small, cheap apartment? That and more is what you're going to have to face way before going to any real auditions. Then, assuming you get an agent, are you going to continue doing all the above while you wait for your next audition assuming you'll get one at all, hoping for that "big break" that only 0000.1% get and then work hard to stay up there?

If you answer no to any of these questions, you'd better give up those childish fantasizes now. That's all these are - fantasies. The above applies to any "glamorous" job. And stop asking again and again, nothing's going to change the reality and the fact that you don't have what it takes.

• Cogito

No - not at all.

All those things you're interested in are shallow goals for an immature teenager.

Acting is 99% very hard work and they don't do it for any of those reasons.

They act because they love to act and have loads of talent.

They'd carry on acting if they could see into the future and knew for certain that they'd never make any money from acting, would never get a single 'fan', would never be given 'free stuff' or become even slightly well-known.

Actors have to be intelligent, happy to train and gain unpaid experience for many, many years; they're dedicated, determined, very hard-working and far too mature and intelligent to care about superficial, shallow nonsense.

You'd get nowhere as an actor with that attitude, I'm afraid.

If you're 15 or under, don't worry - you'll grow out of this silly dream.

If you're over 15, it's time to be realistic and get a real career plan!

No it isn't.

It is long hours in rehearsal, classes, auditions and most of us work for years before we can give up our day jobs and make a living solely from performance work.

Modeling has no relevance to acting but it is also a job that is not for weak willed.  You will face rejection on a regular basis both as an actor and a model.   There are literally 1000's of people trying for the same roles you want and if you don't have any training or talent you will never make it anywhere near to your childish fantasy.

Wanting glamour and fame is the single worst reason to become an actor. It shows that you have no idea what acting entails and is totally unrealistic.

• Mike

Remember, you're supposed to be at least 13 to post here.

• Marli

I've never been an actor, but I have met a few Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts who are actors. I've overheard them talk shop, and though I think they have interesting work - and they seem to like it - it's not glamorous. Learning lines. Costume fittings. Getting to the theatre early. Leaving late. One man, a noted television actor in Canada, coached several Bootmakers to perform "A Story of Waterloo", an adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle's short story "The Straggler of '15". I won't name him because he is well known here and he was very kind to do it for little or nothing. It was a great treat for me to watch and hear (as was his lecture about Conan Doyle and Victorian war propaganda after the performance. One thing that I learned from the actors I've met is how thoroughly they research - not just their role but the "lives and times" of people living in their character's time.) So I think there is a lot of work involved in acting, and the glamour is just the tips of their icebergs.

Very little or no money for years. Lots of travelling and sitting around all day. None of the stuff you mention is going to happen to a beginner.

Well, for getting attention, getting clothes to wear and getting free stuff there's always shoplifting, isn't there? Don't know about the rest, though.