Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 2 months ago

Which Eleanor would win in a car race I don’t know which engines on or in which...1967 Shelby MustangGT 500 versus 1973 Mustang Mach 1?

By 1973 the Mustang was a "full sized" car, while in 1968 it was still a "compact". Then there is the emissions system which cut real heavy into engine out put.

The actual difference could come down to the driver.

As far as I am concerned given the choice between the two I would prefer to have the 67. Oh by the way by 1973 Shelby was not working with Ford and that is one more reason to take the Shelby over just a Mustang Mach I. There were some engine tweaks by Shelby for sure- but that was not the only place he improved on the stock Mustang.

By the way the Shelby GT 500 had a 428 in it and a top speed (observed) of 146 mph (Fastlaps.com)

The 1973 Mach 1 had a 351C and a top speed (observed) of 142 mph. (fastlaps.com)

The 73 had The 351 Cleveland as an engine option or a BB 429 V-8s with different variants. It depends on the driver, engine and the gearing. A lot of the Ford vehicle's in the 60s had the FE engine or Windsor.

The 73 was a little heavier, and had more anti-pollution equipment.

I would bet on the 67.  

• Ian K

1967 was about a second or so faster in a quarter mile.