Jake asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 7 months ago

When is it okay to tell someone they are overreacting over something and when should you empathize with them?

For example: say my friend gets really sad and upset over something trivial like someone rolling their eyes at them. Would I be a horrible person in telling them "a stranger just rolled their eyes at you. You shouldn't get bent out of shape over something so minuscule" or should I empathize with them and say "while I don't care if a stranger rolls their eyes at me because and see this as something trivial, my friend is clearly upset about it and I should treat it with the same delicacy." Which one is right? Because I know a lot of people who get worked up over (i.m.o) very asinine things but I look like an a**hole when I don't see it that way.

That "because" isn't supposed to be there. It's "while I don't care if a stranger rolls their eyes at me and I see this as something trivial, my friend is clearly upset about it ...."

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.