promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How do I solo sail at night?

I want to sail across the atlantic ocean. But I obviously want to sleep at night. How does one do it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

If you know nothing about auto-rudder equipment for sailboats, you will die in your attempt.

You should sail the northern route so that you will never be far from Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and Ireland.

If you are going from Europe, that might mean you go from Spain to Azores to Canaries to Bermuda to USA.

Source(s): Used to be on a geophysical vessel (diesels, no sails) in Caribbean.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • don't fall asleep during turbulence bc you could die again 

• 1 month ago

you dont want to go at nite

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Depends on where you are, your type of boat & how much traffic is liable to be in the area. Shallow coastal waters best to anchor & have a sleep (but wake up frequently & check you're not drifting or in the way of another vessel.

Long distance ocean voyagers use some sort of auto helm or vane steering & catnap for 15 minutes at a time. (That's the time it takes an ocean liner etc to go from over the horizon to almost on top of you.)

Some also heave to & sleep for 20 minutes at a time (A bit longer if they're well away from shipping routes)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'd put out a sea anchor (if you don't know what one is, look it up). Make sure you have a couple good radar reflectors up the mast too because sailboats usually don't put out much of a radar return and can easily be run over/ground up in the prop.

• 2 months ago

You don't get to sleep all night.  If you're outside of known shipping lanes you can probably nap for an hour.  Get up and check things and take another nap.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Guess you'd have to drop anchor at night. Sleep, then move on in the morning.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.