promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Daniel asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Can you wash a car on a gravel driveway?

I’ve recently moved into a new flat which has an allocated parking area at the back of the place. When you go around to the back the surface changes to gravel and so I was wondering if it’s safe to hand wash a car on this surface without causing any flooding or damaging it? I’ve never seen any of the neighbours wash theirs so slightly confused. Please if anyone could shed some light

11 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You won't damage the gravel driveway. HOWEVER...to be courteous to your neighbors, you should park on the far side of the lot to wash your car, so that people walking through the lot are not walking through mud to get to their car.

Think of it this way...what happens to gravel when it's raining really hard? Your washing the car will do less "damage" than a hard rainfall will. Neither scenario is going to damage the driveway, but both are going to cause a muddy mess.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just be careful. Don't splash mud on your car. However, you might consider a car  wash. They usually charge $19.00 a month & you can take it th every day. Or even 3 times a day

• g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You betcha, Daniel.  Actually the gravel surface will have better drainage compared to a paved surface.  As long as your landlord does not have an objection wash away!  

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As long as it's okay with the super/landlord, why not?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've washed my car on gravel driveways and driven on gravel roads many times. Washing a car on a gravel driveway won't cause any damage or cause any flooding. The gravel isn't so tightly packed that water won't sink into the ground. Gravel just provides a hard surface on which you can park  and drive so that your car won't get stuck in the mud when it rains. 

• Neil
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Plenty of people wash their cars on gravel driveways.

However, because you live in a flat, and the gravel area is communal (even if you have a designated parking spot within it) you should check your lease, and maybe also ask the managing agents, in case there are any conditions that mean car washing is not allowed.

When I lived in a flat, car washing was not allowed in the front car park. In theory it was only supposed to be allowed in the garage compound at the rear (although not all flats in the block had garages), but because the tap in that compound no longer worked there was an unwritten agreement that cars could be washed next to a garden tap at the rear of the building in and area that was officially "no parking", provided the car was moved as soon as the washing was finished.

• 2 months ago

It is better to wash on gravel. Water will run to ground and not get all over the place.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The rules are different for every city and every country.  Ask the flat manager and find out the rules. 

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Better check with the landlord. Lots of places don't allow car washing at all if the water is furnished by them.

• 2 months ago

Does it never rain where you are?  If it does, does it flood?  If not, then a bit of water from washing is not going to be a problem.  The only thing you should check is that you are allowed to park your car on the gravel.  Just ask a neighbour.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.