Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Animals in the shelter obese, anything I could do to change it when I've asked the shelter multiple times?

I am the wellness health Officer at a shelter for exotic animals. I have noticed that a LOT of the animals there are obese, most of them didnt come to us that way either. A lot of the animals are developing obesity related health issues because of it too. It's not even because they are getting fed a cheap diet it's because they are getting fed WAY too much pellets. I've tried asking them nicely for MONTHS to feed less pellets, about 3 of the volunteers have listened to me but 90% of them arent, I still come in all the time to find that the already oversized bowls are overflowing. I feel really bad for these animals and I really want to help them but nothing I have tried is working. I had a huge argument with one of the volunteers today on the shelters private group chat and then the owner of the shelter even said that nothing needs to change, at this point I dont even feel like I'm not even needed as a medical wellness Officer there because they do not listen except for like 3 of the volunteers, most of them use me as a free way to get health advice for their animals, which I dont mind but I really wish they listened about the animals in the shelter. I will post the argument as one of the answers below

Not the fault of the shelter, they came in obese. Shelters have little time to exercise animals, so the brunt of what they do is eat and stay in a cage.

Volunteers don't know animal dietary needs to be healthy and think more is better,,don't have to feed them so often.

Our shelter is not PETA, it ia ASPCA with often inspections and on site vet.

Each animal has like a chart, logging feed and amount schedules as well as their needed exercise by volunteers, they follow a plan.

I wound up caring for a bat with permanent wing damage. I had to learn exactly its health dietary intake and and exercise regime every day out of his cage. Crawled all over the house and in hope of rehabbing flight, Crash and burn in the grass every time. He even began to think of it as a fun game. 3+ hours every day under my watch, why I had to get rid of him. Happy in a sanctuary now with round the clock expert care.

• Anonymous2 months agoReport

They didnt, they turned obese after being at the shelter for over a year and being fed too much food

There's a reason why some shelters over feed the animals a fat animal is a docile animal they can cram more animals in the shelter if they over feed them and make them fat and lazy anyway that's what it's about

You're pathetic, TROLL.  Just think of the good you could do if instead of posting these ridiculous fake stories you instead volunteered at a shelter?  But then, you're probably 12 so can't do that.

REPORTED

• Lv 6

Agreed and ditto

All that effort put into this obvious troll post. Yet you can't use Google to find out who inspects licensed animal shelters. Too bad you posted this when possibly the ONLY user in this section that knows that answer would check the questions. Exotic Animal shelters are STRICTLY REGULATED and inspected monthly. And they are inspected with a fully licensed veterinarian employed by the US Department of Agriculture and by the Game Wardens of that state. Any hint of malfeasance or abuse(including overfeeding) will have the shelter shut down. You are a liar, but I will admit you have an active imagination. Put some of that effort into finding a meaningful job instead of posting bologna on Yahoo Answers.

Sounds like a poorly managed place, it happens with every industry, there’s always managers who don’t want to change anything or listen to concerns. You should just leave and maybe report them to an animal safety organization but don’t bet that anything will happen.