Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 2 months ago

Opinions on 17 year old with tattoos and piercings?

I’m 17 and get judged a lot for my tattoos and piercings. I’m good at school, volunteer in my community and play sports. But I get judged just because of my appearance and my age. I don’t understand. A 40 year old is just as capable of making bad decisions regarding tattoos and piercings, and in my eyes if I get to the age of 80 and my only regret is a bad tattoo I’ve lived a good life. Honestly; what’s your opinion?

(Tattoos - 2 - one on ribs, 10cm x 5cm; one on thigh, 10cm x 10cm but am getting stuff added to it so will be maybe 12 cm x 20 cm when done)

(Piercings -  12 - three on each lobe, two helix, rook, conch, triple forward helix,  top belly button, bottom belly button. Getting tongue pierced next weekend)

the piercings can be closed unless he got those horrible earings that stretch your ears out and smell like feet.those are nasty,if he/shee has those they will need surdery to repair them the tattoos your stuck with what you like at 17 will haunt you later when you are embarrassed to take off your shirt whenyour 40....example.....a tattoo of the zig zag man on your fore arm with a pot leaf....or a skullwith a top hat smoking a cigar.

• Mystic

Your grammar is atrocious. Also, you can remove a tattoo via laser removal treatmants. It is time consuming and expensive, but it's possible. You can also cover certain tattoos.

• LM440

I had two tattoos when I was seventeen and a pierced ear before the big trend.  Our daughters had small tattoos during high school and multiple ear piercings and nostril and navel.  

The tattoos and piercings do not have a negative effect on a person's ability to learn and mature.  I see nothing negative with the choice.

• LM440

I live in the U.S. and am not familiar with British broadcasts.

Interesting. I don't have a tattoos, but a few of my professional bosses have had at least one or two! And they're very common in the workplace now.  Of course, I guess it's rare for someone to have multiple tattoos in their teens.  People could be coming down *extra* hard on you since people usually start becoming independent, self-expressive, and a little-rebellious when they become teenagers. So folks could be unfairly assuming your tattoos are from Too Much Rebellion rather than a conscious and well-adjusted choice. Your gender isn't mentioned. But I suppose folks might be even more judgmental if you're a girl.  It's not right, but often folks don't quite know how to act or respond to a female who doesn't conform. Sadly innovation and self-expression is often seen as a sign of strength in males but is wrongly perceived as "uncooperative" and crazy in women :<. I do think you'll get less judgement as you get older, though.  Just about everybody think they "know better" than teenagers, even if they don't.   

Look sleezy and tacky and  the colors fade in time.  

As Mrs. Frankenstein said, your opinions, views, and tastes will probably change. I cannot remember what I was passionate about at your age, although I do remember being quite vocal about how I felt. Nevertheless, it is not for me to judge or criticize your choices for your body. One thing I would suggest is that you put a little bit of money aside every week or month in case you want removal in the future. That way, when you reach 40 or 50, you can have the tats zapped away. If you still have the same feelings, you can take your family on vacation or splurge on many fun things with the money you've saved. 

• Mystic

Don't care. They aren't my kids. If their parents gave consent, there's nothing to be done. People need to mind their own damn business and stop trying to dictate others.

• Mystic

It sounds like many women are LUCKY to avoid you possibly taking interest in them.

• Casey

the problem is no reputable artist would tattoo a minor even with consent. which means you're getting them done in less than ideal places which shows poor judgment.

• Mystic

Al is illiterate and way too judgmental for his own good. Time to go back to your bubble - the real world might scare you!

The problem I see with tattoos is, unless your parents ok'ed it and went with you, no reputable artist should have touched you, period. It's against the law in many states/areas and all it shows is the artist is out for cash only, not the welfare of their clients. I'm not trying to bash anything, as I went through the same thing myself; got my first tat at 17, too. And I was an idiot. 10 years from now, you're going to have completely different opinions, views, tastes, etc. 

Piercings? Holes close, couldn't care less. 

• Lôn

Not a good first impression. I wouldn't employ you.