Why do a capella groups have just one guy singing bass?

Normally I see in the score SATB but on youtube videos there's one guy doing bass on a microphone.

he's the one who gets all the ladies. therefore there can only be one of him

Because there aren't a lot of basses around. Sometimes bartones can sing the bass part if it's not written too low. I'm working with a choir now and there's only one bass singer. We're doing an a capella number so I have him singing with a mic.

Lee Hayes once said "Your tenors, your altos, your sopranos, they all think they're important. A bass KNOWS he's important."

My adult son (late thirties) is a very low bass - has a full-voice 3 ledger line Ab.  Although he is a music department administrator and teacher/choral conductor, he and his wife also sing with a fine professional choir.  There are 3 other men on the bass part, but he is clearly the one taking the octave option in Russian and similar literature.  You know, when you sing that low, your  eyeballs vibrate?  When he was in undergrad conservatory, he was taken into a small advanced touring ensemble.  First rehearsal - he meets the other Bass2 singers - 3 more of them, all African-American.  He is 18 - they are all 22, etc, grad students.  Conductor decides to do a warmup of Ezekiel Saw the Wheel. The 4 Bass 2 guys stand up.  Section solo: "My God spoke and the chariot did stop".(Only goes to Eb, bit even so . . )  He realizes they the other 3 guys set him up - they did not sing, leaving him to twist . .   He gets fist bumps with "Nice job . .  white boy . . ."  So as years pass in his professional life he is often called for church gigs, other singing - where one bass alone is all that is needed.  Now - about the mic - there is a thing called "proximity effect" - with a mike almost down your throat, you sound really fat and boomy - even stand-up comedians will use this trick on stage for emphasis.  So groups will often feature their own Leroy Stubbs clone - and hand him a mike to make it more impressive.  And no - my son was offered, but never did an *Audrey*  (Little Shop . . )  on stage. 

Could be for balance. I used to sing acapella through my fraternity: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfornia, music fraternity of America. If we have too many guys on bass, or baritone, alto, or tenor? Then it would be unbalance. So some groups probably just have enough with one guy

• Mamianka

Hey Phi Mu!  I am a Mu Phi Epsilon, Brother!  And then a Pi Kappa Lambda.

There aren't a lot of basses in the performing industry (especially bass 2). so they put a few people on bass

• Mamianka

The low bases are WORKING.  T2 And B1, we have herds of.  A good T1 is in demand, too. Women - airways an oversupply.  One opera critic said they are more wannabe operatic sopranos waiting tables in NYC, than there are cockroaches.