promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Can I have insurance through my job and still have insurance through my spouse's work?...?

I live in southern California I dont know if this makes a difference.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If her employer allows it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You will be paying two premiums but thats your choice.

• TedEx
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can, but you cannot ""double dip"    First file a claim under your coverage, then you can file a claim with hers for what was not covered under yours. .This is called ""coordination of benefits"""

• 2 months ago

Technically, yes, but it is a really bad idea. They will each refuse to cover things, saying that maybe the other should be, so you will have to pay until it gets resolved.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Generally yes, but one is used first. The health car providers need to be told of both coverages and they will coordinate benefits.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can do that, and possibility get partially reimbursed for things one insurance company doesn't pay from the other if you take the time to manually submit the information to the other company.  However it can be a significant extra expense if your wife has to pay more out of her paycheck to keep you on her insurance.   Most couples will save a lot of money by using their own respective employer provided insurance since they tend to subsidize the individual employee's cost more than family or spouse.   That said often government, union, and some big corporate insurance programs do heavily subsidize spouse\family benefits to the point you might as well keep the double insurance so you just need to look at the real numbers you and your wife are paying.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Life Insurance?  Health Insurance?  Disability Insurance?

Assuming you mean health insurance:  you can't collect twice for a covered expense . . . . there will be wording in the policies that identify which policy provides "primary" coverage and which is "secondary" coverage.  Check them both out - ask Human Resources . . . . but there's probably no benefit in carrying both - - - your spouse and/or her employer are undoubtedly paying for family coverage - and her employer would rather not pay the extra amount.

I'd be more definitive - but California??  Probably "unique" rules there !!

• 2 months ago

You can have dual coverage.

- your employer's coverage will be primary / spouse's insurance secondary.

- the secondary coverage only covers after the terms of the primary have been met.

- Example: if yours has a $4K deductible and spouse's has a $2K deductible, the $2K deductible doesn't count because you have to meet the $4K first.

It's very rare that it makes financial sense to be dual covered, unless one of the coverages is free (no employee contribution). 

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What benefit would it be to have both? Who pays the premium? If there are additional benefits over and above your direct cost, it may be worthwhile. Make sure you have all the facts.

• 2 months ago

You should choose which is best for you especially if you pay part of the cost. If you have 2 the insurance companies will work it out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.