Ookla speed test | PC wired: 199.08mbps / Mobile wifi: 21.1mbps. Why such a difference?

Wired internet always faster then wifi.

You need to get an analysis tool for your phone.  On android, get WiFi analyzer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com....  Move your WiFi to frequencies that are not crowded.

Make sure you are, by default, connecting in the 5 Gigahertz frequency range.  This screen shot of a network somewhere shows why it can be slow.  Lots of networks and very crowded.  In apartments, you might find 20+ networks.  The 5 Ghz range is less crowded and is far faster.  By using 5 Ghz and choosing a channel that isn't crowded, it should speed up.  You do this on your router.

If you are on iPhone, Use one of these https://www.netspotapp.com/wifi-analyzer-apps-for-...

• P

These days with all the wifi interference from neighbors if your router is not rated AC1900 or higher (I can nearly guarantee yours probably is not) it will get massively reduced speeds in actual speed tests.   

It's important to note that the reported windows "wifi connected" speed isn't even close to being accurate in most cases.  

There are any number of things that could impact your Wi-Fi performance.  

Which standard does your router and device your running the test from comply with?  The standard is called IEEE 802.11.  There are several versions of the standard 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac and 802.11ax.  Each standard improved performance from the prior one.  Your devices will connect using the lowest common denominator.

Look for a Wi-Fi analyzer for your computer, Solarwinds offers a free demo of their product for Windows.  Mac's (what I have), come with a Wi-Fi diagnostic utility in OS X. 

Wi-Fi is very susceptible to interference from other electronics.  Wi-Fi uses unlicensed spectrum from the FCC, so do things like cordless telephones, baby monitors, some home security stuff....  If there are other "cordless/wireless" devices in your home try turning them off.  Another thing you can do is change the channel your Wi-Fi utilizes, this is a setting in your router.  

Other electronics can interfere, even ones that don't do Wi-Fi.

Appliances with electric motors can interfere.

Walls, specially concrete ones, can interfere.

Try moving the router to a different location to see if that makes a difference.  Do you test where you can actually see the router.  I.e. a few feet away.

Do you have neighbors close by with Wi-Fi, it's possible their signal is interfering with yours.  Again, trying changing the channel your Wi-Fi router is utilizing.

If you have older or cheap hardware it's possible that the Wi-Fi throughput is hindered by the chips it was built with.  

Try running the test with a different Wi-Fi device. If you ran the test from a laptop, try running it again from a smartphone or tablet if possible.

I'd suggest, if possible try this test again using a different Wi-Fi network and see if you get different results. 

You've done the right thing by testing what the throughput is with a hard wired connection.  Now you know what you should expect. 

Sounds like wherever you were in your house, the wifi is awful. You can get range extenders, mesh, etc. and increase your WiFi strength and speed dramatically. You can also get apps that tell you where the wifi is best, so you can put your repeater there. I am probably older than your Gramma, and I have done this several times, fit myself and friends.

• Stuart2 months agoReport

I'll have a check around the rest of the house, however I was in the same room as the router, no more than 3 meters away with nothing in between me and it. Thanks though :)