promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Did I get ripped off?

A little over 2 weeks ago I purchased a 1TB Hard Drive on eBay for external use. I finally recieved it today and no device whatsoever will detect it, Even Command Prompt showed it as "no media" I tried contacting the seller but he won't do anything he keeps insisting it can be fixed. It doesn't make any unusual noises all sounds normal it just remains undetected on every device it has been connected to.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Unless they had something written in the description like, "drive is sold as is" then it's up to the seller to ensure you got a working product. Use eBay's customer complaint department and maybe they can help you.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

if it is a drive that was removed from an external portable (usb) hard drive case, it could be set to have the 3volt pin trigger constantly reset it. this can be circumvented by taping over the 3rd pin (or 2nd i dont remember check youtube) from the left on the SATA power connector which will quit sending the reset signal. This is, assuming that you are using this IN a pc and not as an external portable hard drive?

Source(s): love this stuff
  • 2 months ago

Use E-Bays, complaint dept, unless you bought it as is.

• 2 months ago

A USB 2 port doesn't supply enough power. You must use a USB 3 or an external power supply.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

those are supposed to be direct plug in. hard disk manager software might detect it and format it. look for free version at cnet.com's downloads

• 2 months ago

Silly question, maybe, but have you connected it to power as well as to your computer?

• 2 months ago

Helps to know more about your system and what you have.

If properly powered and connected, the external drive should at least start and run.

5 Different drives I bought, only one was a dud and a bad supply. That was resolved through ebay.

If the drive starts, it is a matter of its format may be different than your system.

IE; a 2 Tb Segate USB, all working, just no drive found. This is on Windows.

You open 'command prompt' and run 'diskmgmt' .

The disk, if good, will show.  then you select 'that drive' . under options, you create a partition. (the whole drive?) now you have a 'volume' you must name (external drive etc) and format to what your computer uses.(NTFS for windows) do a complete format, (takes about 20 min/Tb) and assign a drive letter(optional)

When done, your drive should be there and ready to go.

• 2 months ago

Don't stress yourself out, contact Ebay. Open enclosed link.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's a big yes.

• 2 months ago

It could be that it got damaged in shipping or maybe the seller sold you a defective product. Luckily for you, eBay has a buyer protection program where you can get a refund/replacement if the item did not arrive as it was described in the listing, even if the seller doesn't accept returns.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.