Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 2 months ago

Is running on a treadmill boring?

I've run a treadmill for 30 to 60 minutes before and find it really boring. I ran a mile last week in about 7:40 and didn't find that fun at all. I find that it's less of a hassle to do 10-12 mph sprints for like a minute and rest for a minute a few times after jogging for 15 to 20 minutes. Thoughts? Since I've run like a minute at 12 mph that means I could probably go faster but I don't want to try on the treadmills at Planet Fitness because they are very narrow so I don't want to turn them up to 15mph? Thoughts? Should I use the handle bars and jump off? I usually like to decrease the speed manually or pull the stop because that's more like a natural stop outside no?

Is 15mph pretty good for 40?

Running on a treadmill can be boring however, it is rewarding. Its easier to run outside in a cool, slightly cold environment. Just wear something not warm to go outside in.If that doesn't work, then I know a really good guy that also helped me with track. He is a personal trainer and he treats me like family even though its only been 2 months. If you want I can give you his number. (He is cheap! lol)

it can be boring but its easier to run more on a treadmill than it is to run regularly

In a treadmill, you need to do interval running for optimal fat burning. Sprint, and then slow down, and the sprint again, and repeat.

Bring good headphones, or you'll die from boredom.

• .

You ask if treadmill running is boring, then immediately say you find it 'really boring'. I don't understand the point of your question when you already know how you feel about it. MOST people find it boring, but some don't (like anything else). Sprinting at the speeds you describe or jumping off a treadmill, sounds ill advised and significantly increases your risk of injury if you misstep/grab. 

.

I suggest you run outdoors. It's a very different experience than treadmill running, and gives you a much better idea of what you are capable of. I only use my treadmill due to weather or time constraints. Otherwise, i'm out running in my neighborhood or meet my running group in the downtown area of our little town, for a group run through a nearby neighborhood. 

• Adam D

I have always preferred running outdoors to treadmill running.  When the weather forces me inside, I typically try to find something interesting on the TV at the gym to watch while running if I'm doing a continuously paced run.

I agree with the person suggesting a gradual increase and decrease in speed when doing treadmill sprints (as opposed to jumping on and off).  All it would take would be some extra sweat on your palms and those handle bars would be useless, you can get hurt pretty badly at the gym (and if you look online, you can find videos showing that people do). 

15 mph on a treadmill is cooking pretty fast, if you have any questions about your coordination, you might not want to turn the machine up that far.  You can always stretch out the length of the 12 mph repeats to a minute and a half or two minutes.

• Will

I always had a laptop or iPad on the treadmill so I'd stream Netflix or youtube or some educational videos.

Running treadmills is the most boring thing on earth. I'd rather run five miles in the park than a mile on a treadmill. Narrow treads are the worst. I usually gradually decrease my speed rather than jump off. Nothing beats the park though.