Why are good nurses leaving the profession?

My daughter is a prenursing student. She's wanted to be a nurse as long as I can remember. She makes excellent grades, in fact people have suggested she consider med school instead of nursing, and she thought about it for a minute, but she said "Mom, I don't want to be a doctor, I want to be a nurse." So many nurse friends of mine are telling me she should reconsider, and many of them are leaving the field, but none of them are very specific about why. They just say "It's changed." "I don't want to do direct patient care anymore." Are they just burnt out? What do they mean "It's changed'?

• :)

The changes are numerous. The nurse-patient ratio has increased, the technology is advancing, the push for leadership is increasing, patient acuity has evolved, etc. Your nurse friends that are leaving were unwilling to change with the times, which is a shame.

It irks me when older nurses tell young, ambitious and excited future nurses to “reconsider”. We need positive energy in nursing to combat burnout, nurse-nurse bullying, etc. By encouraging people not to join the field, they are hurting it.

A really wise ER nurse once told me that nurses who hate their job are in the wrong specialty. Perhaps they need to change from the ICU to labor and delivery. Or from floor nursing to home care/primary care. You can eventually got back to school and level up to an educator, nurse practioner, researcher, etc. Nursing is SUCH a vast field. You’re not “stuck”.

I am a senior nursing student that will be graduating in May. Im currently in the interview process for a few residencies in my dream specialty, and I’m very excited and enthusiastic to begin despite what the burned out nurses say. My dream has always been to be a WHNP or an FNP.

Tell your daughter the key is for her to find an area of nursing that she loves, and that she’ll be excited to get up for everyday, and spend 36-40+ hours a week in. Once she finds that area, she’ll be fine. And she’s NEVER stuck. She can switch.

We are not clairvoyant ! Why don't you ask your friends ?

"So many nurse friends of mine"   

Let me get this straight.   You randomly have a whole bunch of nursing friends who are randomly leaving the field and despite being friends with you, randomly won't tell you why they are interested in a career change. 

No one here knows why your random made up friends do what they do.    Nursing is an expanding profession that attracts all kinds of talented people who have long and successful careers in the field.

Sometimes people change careers for any number of reasons.  This is no more true for nurses than any other type of job.