Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 2 months ago

How do I explain to my children that there is no Santa Claus?

I want to do it now and the first part of the year so they’re over the devastation by Christmas 2020. I don’t wanna wait till the holiday season or I’ll end up wrecking Christmas for them this next year.

They are seven-year-old twins so I figure now is about the time to tell them. I want them to find out for me or it will seem like I lied to them if a friend tells them. I remember hating my mom for Christmas one year when I found out there was no Santa.

"or it will seem like I lied to them"  well, yeah, you did. That's the tough part. How do you explain your reasons for lying to them about the existence of Santa? You already know how upset you were when you found out, and how you felt toward your mom. You might want to think back on that to see what would have helped you at that time. What would have made a difference? 

Owning up to a single lie is one thing. Trying to explain why the lie was repeated over and over for 7 years is going to take some self-criticism. That's probably what made you so upset back when you were little. Your trust was betrayed -- and by your own mother. Now you've made the same mistake. 

Honesty and humility will need to be your focus now. Santa isn't the issue. Your relationship with your daughters is. Be honest about your own mistakes with them, assure them how much you love them, and know that you may need to earn back some of that trust. 

• Tom

Truthfully and kindly.

• Cogito

Don't.  At only seven years old, they can happily go on believing for another two or three years.

After that, they'll figure it out for themselves.

Sit them down and tell them that it's just a fun story that someone made up but you can still talk about him, hang stockings,  and leave cookies (for dad) etc.  Also tell them not to talk about it with their friends for a few years because some kids don't know yet.  I had older siblings so I never believed in Santa anyway.  It was no big deal.  We still had fun at Christmas.  I've even heard that the Santa story can be stressful for some kids because they worry about what if he gets stuck in the chimney or has an accident with the sleigh, etc. 

• sam

The same way you explain to your children there is no God

Why did you START by lying to them there was a Santa Claus two or three year ago then?

That is generally left for the child to find out on his or her own.