promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
connor asked in SportsHockey · 2 months ago

Trying to get into the NHL, can anyone help?

For the longest time I’ve been hooked into the NFL/MLB and am not really interested in basketball all too well, but I’m trying to attain more knowledge about the NHL and am trying to gain more infatuation towards the sport entirely. If anyone can list any simple logistics that would help me get more familiarized about the league/the way the sports played properly/rules/and etc I would most definitely appreciate it.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • If you live in a City that has an NHL Franchise, each Team offers Hockey 101 to teach Fans the basics of the game.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Just watch some games. That's how we all learned as kids, by watching sports and/or playing sports.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You are getting sports all wrong. The whole point is to like the sport itself, not the overmarketed major leagues. They are all a joke, at least in NA. Go watch SHL, Liiga, KHL, college, or pre bettman nhl games and learn about the sport. And as the other users said, watch before asking and learn to use wikipedia

• 2 months ago

Well, there are plenty of Wikipedia articles on the subjects you mentioned.

Also, rules do get changed from time to time. For example, back in 76-77, when the four time repeated Stanley Cup champs, the Montreal Canadiens, had a record where they won 60 out of 80 regular season games, lost 8, and tied 12. Thus, they got 2 points per win and 1 for each tie.

Back then, the league had no overtime or shootout to break ties. So, the points were based on 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 for a loss, for a total of three categories and never more than 2 points awarded per regular season game.

Now, we no longer have tie games. If after 60 minutes, the score is tied, then each team gets the 1 point for the tie, and then there's a third point on the line for the team that wins it in overtime or the shootout.

That five minute overtime came in in the 83-84 season, and if that 5 minutes ended in a tie, then that was that. Since the 05-06 season, a shootout was added if the 5 minutes didn't decide things. Also, the 5 minute overtime used to be played 4 on 4 (Regulation time in the game is 5 on 5, not counting goalies), now it's 3 on 3, as of the 15-16 season.

So, now the three categories are wins (Regardless of the win being in regulation or overtime), 2 points, losses in regulation, 0 points, and losses in overtime, 1 point.

You didn't say where you were, country-wise, so if you're in the US, I suggest checking out the NHL Network, as they carry some excellent content from Canada, including the occasional Saturday night 7 PM game from Hockey Night In Canada (Who, in my view as a hockey fan of over 50 years, is THE best hockey broadcast organization, period, full stop), as well as Hockey Central, noon to 2 PM weekdays.

Hockey, the fastest game on Earth !

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • ANDRE L
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You're quite welcome. Hockey is a big deal for us Canadians, and we're happy that more people worldwide are getting into it. And, if can find a way to view HNIC from Canada, it's well worth it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tom
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Yeah, go to a college that has a hockey team. If so, try out for it, and then.... Make it. Then, go from there.

• 2 months ago

Start by watching an actual game of hockey before you constantly ask your friends.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.