Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 2 months ago

I quit my job and my employer is saying he won't pay me for the 2 days of training I had.?

Occupancy: Ontario

Long story short, something happened where I had literally no choice but to quit my job, 2 days into training. I signed a contract prior and don't know if it stated I need to give 2 weeks notice before getting paid. Here in Ontario, there's agencies that will help me if he refuses to pay, but if it was in the contract, I'm pretty sure I can't do anything. Does training require pay even if quit in the middle. He's been ignoring my texts and at this point I don't know whether to contact the agency or not. Can I get some advice? Thanks!

By Canadian law, he has to pay you, there is nothing optional about it here! My advice would be get touch with the Labor Board, and start the process, but keep in mind you will experience signifcant delays for this to even get to court due to all the backlog.

However, lets assume you worked 8 hours (over the 2 days) and at minimum wage! That would mean you made $232 in net pay, and after taxes just over $200.... my point is $200 really worth going to court for years over?

Just file a complaint with the Labor Relations board or whatever they are called in Ontario for not being paid.  You should be able to ask the board initially if they can not pay you.

The department of wage-and-hour which is a federal agency requires a federal training wage there is no contract that you can sign to violate federal law and have it mean anything. The training wage for Ohio is $4.25 per hour here is a screenshot of it make your complaint to the federal wage and hour division for your state it might take up to six months for you to get paid but your employer still has to follow federal law.

• Joe2 months agoReport

I'm In Canada so I don't know if the same rules apply. I'll have to call the agency tomorrow and ask about all of this. Thanks for the help!

You are not entitled to any pay for the training. First off, you failed to complete your contract - you can be sued for that by the way. Second, you refused to finish the training. Third, you refused to put that training to use for the employer. If you think he should pay you for those two days, you have it backwards. You owe the employer for what it cost him to train you for those two days. I bet your contract states that you had to work a full year, or you would owe him for the training. I would bet money on that. That's usually how those things work.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

Don't you have a copy of the contract. Always keep a copy. But yes, contact the agency for help.

maybe you should talk to the employment agency about it