Can you answer my questions about bicycling?

1 . Need I buy an expensive high quality bicycle , if my main purpose is to use it for transportation? ( Traveling long distances , several miles daily)? How much money can I expect to spend?

2. Will I benefit from weight loss by riding a bicycle?

3. Need I buy two locks to secure my bike , while it is outside , unattended? One for the front wheel and one for the rear?

4. In the past , I have damaged and torn holes in the crotch area of my denim jeans , with repeated friction due to riding a bike . What clothing need I wear , while out for bike rides?

5. In the past , I have spent lots of money on new tires and tubes , because of punctures. How can I avoid damage to the tires/tubes?

What is your definition of "expensive?" If you believe that no bike should cost more than $200, then you need to re-evaluate the true cost of things before getting any answers. A low-end bike from a real bike shop will fit the bill just fine, though. If you're commuting and using it regardless of weather, be sure to include fenders and protective clothing in your budget.

• D50

If you commute, you will make your life easier by having a heavy secure lock at each end of your ride. You don't need to carry the darn thing everywhere you go. A small lightweight lock should be plenty for short stops. A thief can't ride it away and someone with tools won't have time to break it.

• OldHippie

Even with a good lock, a bike can be stolen in about one minute.

1) You can expect to spend anywhere from $500 to $5,000.  A good hybrid bike can still be found for around $500 and up.  Road bikes start around $700 and up.  

2. Will you benefit from weight loss by riding a bicycle?  If and only if you also incorporate a healthy DIET.  No healthy diet?  Possibly NO weight loss.  You CAN NOT out ride a diet of junk food & Big Macs from Mickey D's.  Also depends on how hard you push yourself on the bike.  A casual 15 to 20 minute ride won't burn any calories to speak of.  It takes that long just to get warmed up.  

3) Outside & unattended?  NEVER!  Ask if you can bring your bike inside upon arriving at work - or wherever.  I NEVER leave one of my bikes locked & unattended for anything more than a few minutes.  There's not a lock made today that can't be compromised in 15 minutes or less...a LOT less.  

4) Denim jeans (or any other course cotton material) is THE WORST possible choice.  Jeez...all sorts of companies make cycling specific clothes; Pearl Izumi, Aero Tech Designs, Voler, Primal Wear, etc., etc.  Google those names.  

5) Avoid punctures by... A) DON'T ride so damn close to the curb where all the road debris collects.  Always ride at least 5 to 6 feet away from the curb or gutter.  B) Invest in some good tires with an extra layer of puncture protection.  For a road bike, nothing compares to Continental Gatorskins - IMHO.    

You get what you're willing to pay for.  Go to a reputable bicycle shop and tell them what you need a bicycle for.  There they can make recommendations as to what will work best for you.  They'll also fit you with the correct frame size for your particular body build and adjust the bike to give you maximum comfort. The reputable  bicycle shop can also recommend what cycling attire will work best for you.

Yes you need two locks and always use both of them.  Get at least a 15+mm keyed cable and U locks.   A good set of locks will cost around  $70.  You can get complimentary security accessories such as alarms, cellphone notifiers and tracking chips.  The complementary items aren't ment to replace locks and common sense. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

I don’t know...

• .

No.  You can still buy a decent Trek for about 700 dollars.

You will if you push it (like climbing long hills) and don't overeat.

One solid lock is usually sufficient, even though that means one of your wheels could be stolen.

Get a bigger seat or wear loose fitting jeans.

Get Kevlar® brand inner tubes.