Sony STRDH190 receiver question?

Hi all,

First time on here, just having an issue...quick question.

I received my Sony STRDH190 receiver today along with my Klipsch R-41M bookshelf speakers. After stripping 16 gauge speaker wire and connecting the correct positive and negatives into the speaker bases, I connected the wiring to the receiver...turned it on, the "power" icon was green but no display, not even when hitting "dimmer" as Sony suggested, only "pure direct" would have a red/orange light when it was hit in addition to the power button.

My question is, was this my error? I stripped the wiring with a pair of strippers, twisted the ends, and while they weren't PERFECT going into the receiver (the ends of copper were slightly longer than recommended, may have gotten a tad frayed going in, but nothing crazy from what I can tell)...the receiver also appears to have been second-hand from Amazon so I'm wondering if it was sent defective...

Any help is appreciated

The symptoms at the receiver end sound like they have nothing to do with the speakers or the speaker wire. It's not easy to place speaker wires into the speaker terminal ends in such a way that would cause such a fault. That leads me to agree that the receiver itself is defective.

Who did you buy the receiver from ? I would suggest contacting them about this. There should be some kind of warranty coverage, or ability to return for refund at their expense for being faulty at the time of delivery.

And yeah, Sony receivers are not great even when new and working. Aside from the fine brands that spacemissing mentioned, I find that Pioneer receivers provide good quality and good economy.

To begin with, nothing to do with speaker connections would make the display blank.

Frayed wires are the main cause of shorts,

so Make Certain that NO strands are in contact with

anything other than the correct terminals.

I suspect that the receiver is defective in any case.

Sony amplifiers are generally poor for overall audio quality.

On the next round, choose a better brand such as

Harman/Kardon, Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha.

If money is tight, go for a Sherwood, which offers great value for the price.