Why do we celebrate birthdays?

It's just so pointless & turning a year older doesn't really mean anything.

I turn 22 this year & it's not like I'll be a different personor unlock new abilities, so what's the point?

Your birthday is a chance to remember the day that a major event occurred, to celebrate and give thanks and to reflect upon how well you are still alive to celebrate the day you were born. ... Birthdays should be commemorated like a nation honors its birth. Your birthday is more than an occasion to receive a gift.

Rachel cause everyone is special including you, i am 30 is that too old for a 22 yr old?  Let me know ok, would like to become friends if you do

And thank your parents for giving you this life!

• will3 weeks agoReport

that is so sweet, your answer, how are you

• Uuftk

it is a pagan tradition.  very similar to zodiac, and the worship of winter solstice.  it has stuck with people due to the passing down of kin.

I guess to acknowledge the birth/existence of a person matters to us. To celebrate your "birth" date, is an acknowledgement that your existence matters.

Just celebrating another year of life. a lot of people celebrated their last birthdays without knowing it'd be their last. I take it as a day to reflect and be grateful that while many others didn't make it another year, I did

• Todd

We celebrate a lot of things annually. Basing it on the calendar, a year is a good milestone length to mark the birth of anything, not just people It's no surprise we have annual celebrations practically anything of import. For things really important, we stretch out the occurrence further, to 5, 10, or 100 years. For trivial things, shorter, like once a month. If the calendar was different, so would be the length between celebrations.

Because life was more precious when babies and youths died all the time. You are not a different person. But it is a reason to celebrate. The point is to have a good time. Don't be so humbug. I wish I hadn't been that way at your age.

• Satan

If you dont want to celebrate it, its up to you

• Ann

Then I guess people don't have to get you a gift.

• will3 weeks agoReport

Rachel if we were friends i would give you a gift, your pretty, i feel, like to get to know you