13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favourite answer

Because you get tired of bending over to paint, and the light is better

that being said water color artists do lay their work flat

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 months ago

They use them so that they can get a better view of what their painting on their canvas or canvas paper when it is straight up facing them. You want to make sure that your drawing or painting is centered and in good position when you draw your image or subject! I have one that I keep in my room. I have my drawing clipped to a piece of cardboard because I do not have clipboard! People can also use it just to set their finished artwork on to be shown or displayed!.

• JASON
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

The surface is facing you flat on. I remember the first life drawing I did, sitting on a wooden donkey with a board at an angle, and the model ended up looking 12 feet tall. Also you can stand back and look at the overall composition and quickly go back in to make a mark.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

ive never used an easel but it would be convenient because of the angle i sit when i draw

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

People have explained it well. In the end, paint with one and you will see why within a few minutes.

• 4 months ago

Painting done while standing up is easier to do on a vertical slanted surface. And for smaller paintings, there's less shoulder/back strain with a vertical surface. Also less chance that drips would destroy what you've already painted.

• 4 months ago

Easy...the easel puts the painting area closer to the painter over the entire area. Putting the canvass on a table means the bottom of the canvass will be close while the top of it will be farther away. And the painter will have to reach across the painting to get at the farther areas.

• 4 months ago

Buckets are heavy.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It will be harder on your back to paint that way.

• 4 months ago

Laying a painting on a table will give you a distorted view.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.