Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 3 weeks ago

When were jungles rebranded as "rain forests?" When were swamps rebranded as "wetlands?" Was this rebranding political?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

I would say in the 1990s.  Jungle conjures images of African slaves and primitive tribes.  "Rain forest" has a more romanticized image.

Swamp has a connotation of being a crappy area.  Wetlands sounds more innocuous. 

• 3 weeks ago

They weren't

Rainforests aren't just jungles, although one form of rainforest would be a "jungle."

Wetlands aren't just swamps, but include other marshy areas as well. 

Buy a fcking dictionary or get a clue, either way quit speaking your thoughts online.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I'm old enough to remember the transitions and I think it was largely political.  There was a cause to save the rain forests (I largely support it) and it wouldn't have worked as well if you wanted to save the jungles.  Similarly swamps are something you want to drain.  Wetlands need to be protected.  DC might try to convince everyone they really aren't a swamp but a pristine wetland that is being threatened by that swamp draining president.  

• ...Show all comments
    • Cowboy
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

republicans are fools - did you hear that one????

• marty
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

jungle actually refers in a broad sense, to any place where there’s a wild growth of trees and bushes, a place where wild animals live, and in a broad sense, a tropical place (can be seasonal or monsoonal as well).

A rainforest on the other hand, actually means a place where the rainfall is heavy, and the trees are tall (bushes and tall grass do NOT come to mind), there is a definite canopy, and yes, it is truly evergreen and tropical (non seasonal).

• ...Show all comments
    • oikoσ
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Swamps are just one form of wetland, one dominated by woody vegetation, as opposed to marshes, dominated by herbaceous vegetation. There are also bogs and fens. Wetland delineation has become rather complex and requires studying the vegetation, soil, and water regime. Competent delineators cost $$$ 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Dze
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

part of the 'wildlands' UN agenda project .. the long term plan is eventually move most of the global population into mega-city centers and most of the land will have limited to no human access ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.