When I wash the dishes at home I use dish detergent mostly dawn brand.?

My wife thinks it’s weird that I don’t add a little bleach to it when washing the dishes is that weird 

I give you a dizzy answer,no washing is weird,cause I say and homes are separate!

Dish washing detergent is PH acidic to cut grease. By adding bleach you negating it and creating chlorine gas.

• Kate

The only time I add bleach is if chopping boards have become discoloured. Mostly just the detergent though. If you do use bleach you have to ensure you rinse afterwards with very hot water. I boil the kettle and pour over it.

• JASON

I recently saw a food programme about a couple who disagreed about how to wash up. The wife preferred warmer water, and drying up afterwards. The husband lukewarm water and air drying them. They analysed the bacteria, and the conclusion was the most important things were - scrubbing the items well when washing them, and NOT using a tea towel to dry afterwards, which will harbour bacteria. The husband didn't scrub too well but his not being bothered to dry up was best. I was surprised to learn the washing up liquid did kill bacteria, through helping to burst their cell walls. I would never put bleach in the water, but I know you clean your chickens this way, which the UK government don't agree with.

• JASON

No. I don't know how true it is, but since the UK has now left the EU, and they're talking about trading with America, they said that chickens exported from America are cleaned with bleach

• Ann

When it's flu season, you can add about 1T of bleach to a sinkful of hot water with detergent in it.  That advice comes from an M.D.  Be sure to rinse the dishes afterward in more hot water with a squirt of white vinegar in it.

bleach is toxic as hell,

hot water & the bluey stuff are good,or get some arm n hammer wash soap flakes

• ckngbbbls

and yet, once dry, it is completely inert and you can lick any surface that bleach was used on. You cannot hand wash dishes in water hot enough to kill germs which is why a sanatizing rinse is used in proffessional kitchens with a 3 sink method.

Not to germaphobes.

• Ann

Many detergents actually have a warning on them NOT to add bleach because it can react with the dish detergent and produce toxic fumes.  If you use hot enough water and enough dish soap there is no need for bleach

Most people don't add bleach to the water in their own homes.

However, if you were operating a kitchen where you were serving others, such as a home day care or adult family home, you would be required to wash EVERYTHING in the dishwasher (heat sanitization) OR use the three compartment hand-wash method (bleach sanitization). 

Technically speaking, your wife is correct that hand-washing with dish soap alone doesn't sanitize them to health department standards.    But have any of us actually made anyone sick by handwashing with dish soap alone?   I certainly don't know of anyone. 

Short answer?   Your wife is not weird and neither are you.

ETA:   My wife runs a home daycare and we are painfully familiar with all the government's requirements for "proper" cleanliness including washing dishes. 

Read the bottle of dawn that you use very carefully. The blue Dawn says “Do not mix with bleach”

If you want to disinfect your dishes, soak them in bleach and water after they have been cleaned with soap and dried.