Do you think that someone who has had a sex reassignment surgery should identify themselves as transgender on a dating site?

...or is it fine for them to select whatever gender it is they got reassigned to? Do you think they have a moral obligation to give the whole story, if not initially, at least before you meet them?

I mean, it’s not like you can’t tell straight away, anyway... it’s just offputting seeing a dude in a dress when you’re browsing ladies.

Favorite Answer

They can be setting themselves up for disappointment if the person they are meeting is not interested in a non-cisgender date - and depending on where they  live (or who they meet), they could be actively putting themselves in danger.

if they have had surgery then no

I think trans people should be open about it but not necessarily before meeting someone. Just early on in the relationship. 

Trans people should identify as their gender on dating sites. It would be weird for a trans guy to say they are a woman. That just makes no sense and would be confusing for everyone. 

Oh ok I didn't know that. I dont think there is a right or wrong. Trans people can decide whether or not they want to say they are trans on their profile or not. 

• 3 weeks agoReport

There is the trans option to select on many of the sites/apps

You can not count on that. Just identify yourself as transphobic in your own bio, and you will reduce your "risk" on meeting one.

No I don't. I think it's the kind of issue which would arise early in any relationship worth pursuing because people disclose important private matters to each other as a way of getting emotionally close, so it's not really about that. A relationship where this is not disclosed is not healthy anyway, and should end or address its issues.

• "Do you think they have a moral obligation to give the whole story, if not initially, at least before you meet them?"

No.

This is pure fear-mongering based on a falsehood, that trans people aren't who they say they are.

Unfortunately we still live in a transphobic world.

The most common way trans people handle dating is to disclose relatively early in any relationship, say after a couple dates. There is no reason for us to disclose our private medical history if we haven't met the person we're dating yet.

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)
    • Tuto said "I mean, it’s not like you can’t tell straight away, anyway." Complete bull sh*t. Most trans people blend in just fine with their identified gender.