Arris surfboard modem has internet but no wifi?

Connected via ethernet cable I have internet but my modem isnt sending off and wifi signal. I have already reset it any tips? If already connected my survice provider but they're closed 

• Paul P

Some Arris Surfboard modems have WiFi, some do not. 

If yours doesn't mention WiFi, then you'll want to use your own wireless router with it.

If your Arris Surfboard does have WiFi, you can try logging into it and setting up the WiFi.  

Most consumer Arris modems can be accessed by opening your web browser and putting "192.168.0.1" into the address window, then using "admin" as the user name and "password" as the password. However, if the device is from your ISP they could have change any/all of that.

• BigE

A surfboard is only a modem.  You need an additional router or an integrated modem/router to have multiple clients and WIFI.

The reason you need a router is because the ISP only gives out 1 ip, and you need to "hide" your clients behind that single IP using network translation.

The way you can tell a gateway/router is that the back USUALLY has a switch and it has multiple RJ45 ethernet wired ports.  And of course it has WIFI support.  A modem has only one  connection, almost always a RJ45 ethernet.

Update:  In the old days, a Surfboard (motorola/arris) is only a modem.  I see now there are surfboards that are also gateways/routers.  But if it says "Arris Surfboard modem", that is a modem only.

It helps to know the model number. If after you factory reset the modem it still doesn't enable Wi-Fi, it may be defective and would need to be replaced.

Who is your internet provider. If it’s Verizon fios, you have to use their cable modem.