Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Does gaining weight matter?

So my bmi has gone from 27 to 30.5 in the last year. Before anybody says BMI is not acccurate- it is fat not anything else. I’m not muscular and have a normal build. My waist has gone from 32 inches to 37 inches. Is this likely to have had a big impact on my health? Should I do anything? If it helps I’m an 18 year old girl 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it does. You're BMI went from overweight to obese.  That means that you are at a significantly higher risk of arthritis, cancer, diabetes, fatty liver, heart disease, insulin resistance, and stroke.  Those are very serious health issues.Even if you don't have any problems today, carrying that extra fat, particularly around your middle, will contribute to health problems down the line.

This is not about clothing size or popularity.  It is about health. You'd be wise to make some changes and work to get your BMI under 25.  Here are some things you can do starting today:

1. Drink more water.  Drink water before reaching for food.

2.  Cut out or way, way back on fast food, junk food, snack food, sweets, juice, and soft drinks.

3.  Eat at least six cups of vegetables a day. This can be salad or steamed veggies or stir fry or whatever.  Mix it up and eat a rainbow of colors. 

4.  Cut your serving size of any meat or carbohydrate (bread, cereal, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, etc.) by at least 1/3.  A serving of meat should be the size of a pack of playing cards/your palm.  A serving of carbs is 1/2 cup only.  Don't worry, you have all those great veggies to eat!

5.  Don't snack between meals and don't eat after dinner.  

6.  Get 30 minutes of exercise every day. 

7. Please consider talking to your doctor about some tests as well. If your general diet and exercise hasn't changed much, there is a possibility that you already have insulin resistance and are pre-diabetic and or you hav a thyroid issue.  

• 3 weeks ago

yes it matters. It doesn't just mean that you have to buy bigger clothes it means that you're more likely to have health problems, self esteem issues, and mobility problems if you really let yourself go.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you are carrying excess fat, then it would probably benefit your health in the long run to work on losing it. A healthy BMI is considered to be 18.5 - 24.9 (and as you mentioned, it does not take into account body composition so someone very muscular may appear "overweight" just looking at their BMI or weight, because muscle is heavier by volume than fat, but takes up less space).

You can find your ideal weight range here https://www.freedieting.com/ideal-body-weight and decide for yourself if you want to work on getting there or not. Being overweight doesn't automatically mean you are "unhealthy" or will become unhealthy, but it does increase the chances of health issues that being overweight is known to contribute to.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

A 37 inch waist is unhealthy and you are at higher risk of many diseases. Your waist measurement should be less than half your height. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Nah fam fat doesn't affect your health as long you sit for 1 hour every 75 lb

• 4 weeks ago

That is a large change for the worse in a short amount of time.

See your doctor to ensure there is no underlying medical cause and discuss a plan to return to your previous weight.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It depends on your other health metrics. What's your blood pressure, cholesterol level, fastest running speed? Do you get out of breath from light exercise? If those and other tests turn out worse than average, your weight may be affecting you.

Everyone should try to live a healthy lifestyle and maintain a healthy weight. However, you should try to be psychologically healthy as well. Your weight does not define you. Make healthy lifestyle choices (like anyone else should), but don't obsess, go on extreme diets, or let your state of health negatively affect your self image. Eat healthy and exercise because you love your body, not because you hate it.

And of course, if the weight change is sudden and unexplained, you need to see a doctor to examine possible causes.

• 4 weeks ago

It's not gonna hurt you overall, my only recommendation would be to talk to a doctor/nutritionist about your concerns. A little diet and lifestyle changes can only help.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.