Is it possible to have two majors or major in psychology and minor in sociology?

I posted about this earlier and I just don’t know what to select when applying. I want a degree in psychology as well as sociology because I want to work with teenager about mental health, preferably in a highschool setting, preferably as a teacher. So what major do I select. 


I’ve been out of school for a year so I don’t have access to an advisor also, I was thinking about social psychology, and education 

5 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Yes, you usually can double major. Many 4 year colleges will NOT allow you to formally declare a major but you your 4 th semester, and you can change your major, multiple times. The,average college student changes their major 3 times. I have NEVER had to officially declare a minor, ani have three bachelors degrees.

    If you want to teach at the high school level, you need to be certified by the state, but NOT major in education. Most states require a masters,degree to teach at the high school level.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    You're really asking a few different questions.  Here are some answers:

    1.  Most universities offer both majors and minors in both Psychology and Sociology. You can find that info on any university's website. There is a lot of overlap with these subjects, so do a major/minor is probably fairly easy to accomplish.

    2.  If you want to work as a counselor, you'll need at least a Master's degree in Counseling.  Again, you can look up the admission requirements for that type of program.  A BA in psychology is probably a very common degree for people going into either clinical or schooled-based counseling.

    3.  Each school district and state have various requirements.  Being a teacher in a public school requires an education degree and a teacher's license for the state in which you teach.  This is a different path than being a counselor. Most universities have a bachelor's in secondary education.  That is what you'd need to teach in a public high school. 

    4. Once you are enrolled at a university, you will have access to academic advisors who can help you chart your course selection and major based on your goals.   

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    You work that out after you are accepted but you need to Taylor the major/minor to you career objectives,teaching requires its own set of classes as does counseling.  Psych is not often the major people think it is going to be, get accepted, put anything in the major box, it’s not set in stone, and talk to the advisers.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    That's a question best asked of your academic advisor.  In general, to work as a counselor or teacher you should have your goal on a masters degree.  Depending on how hard you are willing to work, you can definitely pursue and obtain multiple degrees at the same time.  You probably know there is a ton of overlap in psychology and sociology so that shouldn't be too difficult.  I'm a junior with a double major (Public Administration and History) and a double minor (Human Resource Management & Geography) so YES, it can be done. 

    • kaliyah1 month agoReport

      How do you go about getting double major and or minors? How would your applications reflect that? Or is that something you’d work out after you have been accepted because I don’t see a spot on college apps for “double major” selection 

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    It is possible to be a double major, as long as you're up to how hard that can be. If you're wanting to work as a psychiatrist or counselor I'd recommend majoring is Psychology. You can research jobs that you'd like to have and see what the requirements are to better guide your decision.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.