Why is the build quality of clothes washers so bad nowadays?

And of course most of you idiots don't mention what brand or model of washer you have that you claim is built well.

• Mr. P

Because they want to sell you another one after the 3 year guarantee runs out, so they design things to fail on average at 4 years, and write in a bit in the limited warranty that doesn't cover the bits they know fails before that.

You see it all the time on circuit boards - half the components are missing! These are usually the parts that act as good filter or protection circuitry. There is also another sneaky trick they use, and that is mounting electronics in hot, damp and vibration prone areas. Some parts do have a finite life - shorter if they get too hot so where do they put them - right next to hot parts!

I used to work on Fixya site and I noticed some brands always gave a lot of problems, while others were hardly ever talked about - so I bought those!

I paid a decent price for Hotpoint and Bosch - mainly because all the parts are available as spares. I have repaired the Hotpoint Washer dryer about 8 times in about 15 years. The Bosch dishwasher needed new runners and a spray arm in that time, and just feels more solid.

Same with cars. Mine is over 50 years old and will outlast any that are on the street now.

agree with the 1st answer

most store bought washers like those steel behemoth frigerators\\

have parts wear put break,,dont work after a couple years,or earlier,,maytag washer,,in my laundry rm, the mark on the temp selector,HOT,,an energy star thing that mixes alternately hot n cold,,,= more  wear, & wiring to a timer,mixing hose pump to shut on n off on n off,

all I want is hothothot water,,for which I have to draw hot water in a pail to dump in  &  get the hot  water I want, optimum is to pull it out bring it to a used appliance place get another older used on that does what I want

i WILL jUST USE IT TILL IT conks out

• ron h

I had a dryer that I bought used 30 years ago.  I don't think my new one will do that.  But I've got a front load washer that's been good for 10 years, so I'm hoping for another 10 there.

You are buying the cheapo brands. 

This is the throw away world we live in. You don't repair washers, shoes, computers. Anything really. You throw them out and buy new. That's why things aren't made to last anymore. Guys who build washers aren't going to make money if your washer lasts 25 years.

• elhigh

Money, money, money. The cheaper they make them, the cheaper they can sell them. And the cheaper they can sell them, the more they can sell than the other guy - and then, when it breaks, they can sell another one.

My current LG is hanging tough at about five years old. I've found that buying front loaders is a pretty consistently good choice. These so-called High Efficiency top loaders are incredibly cheap and prone to failure at a young age.

I remember  back to the 1960s. That's when the first became popular. The quality is as good now as it was then. And many more settings.

Like others say: Are you buying a cheap dryer?

Because you bought a cheap one?  You get what you pay for.  That has always been true.Avoid the "FU-Bozo" braned machines made in outer Mongolia.

. you could always go to the round wooden tub and stomp on the clothes with your feet (like they did in the old days before electricity. or get Mikey to do it.)

Mine isn't.  I LOVE my "new" washing machine.   Seven years under the bridge and it's still like brand new. 

Sure my old agitating top-loader lasted 30 years but it used a TON of water and literally ate clothes.  I mean wore them out prematurely.

Quality of engineering and build depends on how much you are willing to spend.  Yes of course there is a difference between bargain basement base model machines and high end machines.

ETA:   You didn't bother to ask which brands are good ones, dear.   And since you didn't ask and can't be bothered to be polite, it is what it is.