Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

would it be healthy to sleep 4 hours in the very early morning and 4 hours later on in the evening (After sunset)?

or why need straight 8 hours of sleep maybe?

(reason i ask, is that i have gotten into a habit of only sleeping good for about 3-4 hours at a time , no matter how hard i try not to wake back up. so i just split my 8 hours of sleep about 8-12 hours apart, is that as good as 8 hours of straight sleep? why or why not?>

• Logan
    Favorite Answer

It wastes time falling a sleep and waking up twice every day.  Other than that it could work.  Each sleep cycle is around 90 minutes.  As long as you are not being interrupted in the middle of a cycle it doesn't matter how you break them up.

• Joe

Did it for many years working the midnight shift with no side effects.

Best wishes

• .

It appears that it's best to get your 7-8 hrs consecutively. The link below goes into some explanation of why such as: 

>the alignment of our circadian rhythm

>the importance of light in regulating sleep/wakefulness and with it a lot of other hormonal/physiological processes

>Splitting sleep patterns might interfere with [certain sleep] cyclic processes.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/10408...

• k w

I had a similar problem til I upped my dosing of iodine, then I slept like a baby

If it works for you then keep doing it.