Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 4 weeks ago

Can I trade in a 20 year old car?

I know I may not get much for a car that old but do dealerships usually accept cars based on their age? I plan on getting a new car and while I could sell the one that I have I just don't want to deal with dangerous sketchy people with me being a single woman and all. 

you will not get anything for 20 year old car

Look for what the cash value of your car is using sites that specialize in this sort of thing.

A dealer may well, say, give you $500 for the car, and then bump UP the price of the car they are then selling you by that same $500, so in essence, you gave them your old car for free.

hahaha you may get 100 bucks for it.. A Used car lat my buy it from you but no... a new car will not be offered for it unless it is a actual classic beefed up better then new condition classic.. and at 20 years... ITS NOT... Take it to a junk yard and get maybe 500 bucks for it.. That's about what it is worth.

• arther

most dealers won t want a 20 year old car they will tell you to call the car removals and get it towed away. Most people that are into doing up shitheaps wont want to give you much for it. Its pointless fixing up old cars to sell they are worthless no one wants them unless it is for free it seams.

Every deal is different and any salesperson worth their salt will do all they can to clinch a deal. If that means taking in a 20 year old car as part of the deal they will do so but don't expect to get much for it. In fact, it may end up costing you money.

They will usually take anything, and nope, you will not get much at all. They send it off to the auction block for whatever they can get for it, even if it is a scrap yard that buys it.

In that case you'll lose money dealing with low life used car salesmen.

Yes, you can trade the car in.

• JetDoc

You obviously don't understand how a car dealer can manipulate the numbers on a sale to make it look like they're giving you money on a trade-in, but are actually just gouging you on the price of the car you are trying to buy.

Yes, they WILL take your 20-year-old car in on trade, but most new car dealers won't keep it on their lot. As soon as the title clears, they will send it either to a used car auction or to the junk yard.

Yep, if you can get it there they'll accept it as a trade-in

You might only get $500 for it, but they'll save you the trouble of selling it yourself if it helps them close the deal on selling you another car.

They will just ship it to a wholesaler who will auction it off to one of those low end car lots where every car is $4999 or less. Or maybe they'll just sell it to a junk yard.

But yeah they'll take it.

• M.

$500??