How do I get out of giving a lift in my car to someone after work?

We leave work the exact time as each other, but for the last few days she's asked me to drop her off about 1½ miles from our place of work. Trouble it’s on my way home so it’s not like I’m going out of my way, so I can't use that as an excuse, but I don’t want this to become a habit with her. How do I get out of her jumping in my car every night after work? I was off yesterday and when I came into work today she said, “I missed you yesterday for the lift”. Thing is if I assert myself, I don’t want her getting funny with me as I have to work in the same office with her.

Favorite Answer

Just tell her you're late for a family dinner or you're meeting your sibling at the gym or you're going in the opposite direction.

Or you could ask your boss if you could shift your schedule so that you get there and leave half an hour earlier or later.

Or you could just be direct and let her know that you don't mind doing an occasional favor if she is really in a pinch, but that at the end of your work day you really need that quiet time in the car to decompress before you go home to your family.

Bottom line is that this woman is a self-entitled cow.  These kinds of people can and do get "funny" when they are put in their place.  There really isn't much you can do about it.   You aren't her unpaid employee and you aren't obligated to give her a ride every day.   If she throws a tantrum about it, so be it.    Don't think you're the first of her coworkers she's tried to take advantage of.   People know what she's like. 

• Carmen

Usually the best approach is being honest direct but respectful let coworker know you’re not obligated to take her home same direction or not so she don’t get to relaxed expecting it just let your Yes mean Yes and your No mean know keep it simple and pray she mature enough to act accordingly especially on the job. 

Ultimately, this comes down to what is right for you. There is no obligation for you to continue giving your co-worker a lift, regardless of the fact geography is not an issue. It would seem from your colleague's comment, there is now an assumption/expectation you will always provide a lift so if you want the dynamic to change, make a different choice. Remember, you are not responsible for how your co-worker responds/reacts towards you. Additionally, your co-worker would have had another way of getting home prior to you extending your generosity.

you could start asking her for gas

• mom

just tell her that you do not want it to be a habit of her taken her every day or so. it seems she is using you, or just leave later after she leaves work

• PAMELA

If it is on your way home what is the problem? you are going that way anyway, and no more gas costs come into it, If you refuse you will have problems at work, the only way to avoid it is to find another job, or get rid of the car!

• Sparky

Ask her for petrol money. Hopefully she will find her own way instead.

Both suggestions – errands and appointments right after work, and requests for gas money – have merit.  You could also ask her, "What do you do when I can't drive you home for some reason?"

You might have to get more assertive, and tell her that you find that being her taxi service is cutting into your own free time.  You could say that driving her directly home is preventing you from doing your exercise routines, grocery shopping, visiting friends and relatives, etc.  

The federally approved expense account rate for car travel takes into account depreciation, repairs, insurance, and other maintenance factors, in addition to fuel expenses.  It adds up to somewhere between fifty and sixty cents a mile.  You could also research what Uber or Lyft drivers would charge to drive her home.  That might make her realize how much she's really imposing on your life and free time.

• Cara

To keep on the right side of her, offer her a lift occasionally. But as soon as possible say "Sorry, but please don't rely on me for a lift every day - I don't always go straight home." Then you've got to be seen to be driving off in the wrong direction! So make a few arrangements to meet friends elsewhere directly after work, and she'll get the message you aren't a regular lift.

Honesty is the best policy. Tell her you don't mind giving her a lift every now and then but don't want to make it a regular thing. The alternative is to lie and tell her you have to do something in the opposite direction or that the time constraints won't allow you to help her.