Lily asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

With which hand are you meant to hold your fork and cut your meat?

This afternoon I got into a heated argument with my siblings regarding which hand is meant to do what when cutting into a meal. I use my left hand to hold my fork and my right holds the knife.

They say I'm stupid for holding the fork in my left because I'll stab myself. As if I had such little control over my own hand. They say that people are meant to hold the fork in your dominant hand (right) and knife in the other (left).I'm losing sleep over this debate. I have watched etiquette videos and they seem to agree with me, but my siblings say that the videos are outdated and also dumb. Are they right? Am I on the losing side of an arguement? 2 vs 1 doesn't seem fair.

This is nothing to lose sleep over. Different cultures have different modes of working with cutlery. Most Europeans find it odd that Americans switch back and forth with the knife and the fork. There is no one right way to do this. If your siblings persist blow their minds by switching to chopsticks.

i would just hold it in whatever hand you want

You are CORRECT.  You need to control the knife with your dominant hand.

I, as a conspiracy theorist, would have to seek mental health counseling over something like that. People can be ambidextrous, as well.

• PAMELA

Oh for god's sake what drama over something so silly, you please yourself how you eat, usually right handed people hold their knife and fork the way that you do, tell them to f off and say you will eat as you please!

In the "Continental" style of eating, you hold your fork in your left hand and keep your knife in your right hand. You cut no more than two or three pieces ahead, and convey each one to your mouth on your fork, with the tines down.

This style has become more common even in the USA, as more and more travelers have observed how efficient it is.

In the traditional American style, you hold fork in your left hand to pin down the food on your plate, and cut two or three pieces with the knife in your right hand. Then you place the knife on the back of your plate, with the sharp side of the blade facing the plate, transfer your fork to your right hand, and use the fork to pick up the pieces of food, with the tines facing upward.

It is acceptable for people who are left-handed to reverse this method, and hold their food down with the fork in their right hand while cutting it with their left hand.

I, like the etiquette videos, agree with you, IF the left hand is being used in the same manner. I have seen some hold it in a downward stabbing manner rather than the proper angled manner. Also note the fork is on the left side of a properly set table.

But stepping back to see the larger picture this is also possibly a cultural issue. For example Europeans use the right hand. Does that make Europeans wrong? NO. It just means that polite is relative to the culture and none of us should be so small minded not to recognize that fact.

Your siblings are not only wrong, they're also apparently halfits. You hold the knife in your main hand so that you can exert more force and have more control over a sharp implement. Using your fork to go from the dish to your mouth requires no dexterity at all. Using a knife, does. Your siblings are classless twits.

That would depend on if you are right or left handed. Use your dominant hand to cut with and then switch the fork over.

• audrey

You use the knife in your dominate hand so you have better control of a sharp object!