Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 5 months ago

What do you think of “flopping” in soccer?

By flopping, I mean over exaggerating when someone touches you so then the ref will call a foul and give your team a free kick. I’m playing in club soccer and I don’t know how or why, but I just began doing. I can do it pretty well now and make it seem like someone fouled me when they barely touched me. Especially since I am small, so it makes the ref even more compelled to blow the whistle. Plus, I play girls soccer, so its not expected as much as it would be in boys soccer. 

However, whenever like one of my old teammates parents come see me play for the first time in a long time, they always mention it to me. They are like “Hey, you are becoming a little bit of a flop.” Idk if they are trying to be funny or if they are serious. My teammates don’t mention it to me, but they are always taking about how they don’t like how men in soccer always flop too much. Should I stop doing this? Should I try and play “real” soccer? Even if I give my team a lot of free kicks, penalty kicks, and good scoring opportunities by flopping?

It ruins the sport.

Apart from American football/rugby... soccer was always my favorite and I was a very avid participant... running by my own estimation probably 8 miles a match...

When I watch "pro" soccer and the dudes diving not even caring that there is instant, slow-mo replay and grasping their face or ankle when the defender was about 20 feet away... it just makes it a very boycott-able "sport" or perhaps in the realm of WWE.

It's very dorky and ridiculous.

I get it... athletest want an advantage... want to win... but going THAT shameless is just really weird and gross to me.

I haven't watched "pro" soccer for a long time... but I remember playing it in a mini league and when it is kept real... without refs and just based on general consensus... it's an awesome sport.

Not a fan of it as doing so makes it difficult to take players seriously.

Source(s): I was a team manager for a D1 men's soccer team for two seasons.

Flopping is cheating.  It's not playing the sport.  It's playing the referee.

• Lôn

It's gone over the top....refs should yellow-card the culprits every time...that should fix ot.

• Bob

I think it's terrible and it ruins my enjoyment of watching it.