Can I add my husband’s friends on Facebook?

Okay, so my husband and I have been together a long time. Over 7 years. He has three solid friends that he’s been friends with longer than seven years. I’ve hung out with them all with my husband, and one in particular I have a lot in common with, more so than with my husband. I don’t want to try to take over my husband’s friend but I really do like this guy (not like that) and we’ve even discussed it a year or so ago that I could add his family and friends. But things change and I feel I have the “renew the subscription” on that. Mostly because we’ve talked sexual about him before. My husband jokingly accuses me of wanting his uhh man parts and I get all red and embarrassed and laughy because that’s what happens when that stuff is talked about with me. Anyway, this guy is really cool and out of my husband’s friends... he’s the best one. Now there’s no guarantee he would accept my request, but is it out of line for me to add him, too? I seriously have zero friends in real life. Just occasionally chat with a couple former high school friends online.

With that being said, a high school friend of mine added my husband today and she’s been liking ALL of his stuff.

Can I add his friend? Do I ask permission first? 

He’s not like a d*ck either so I don’t know if he would even deny it even if he wanted to. He’s a super sweet human that’s just handed sh*t all the time.

• kp

I would be a good wife and get permission.

• Edna

You don't exactly ask someone's permission to add them as a friend on Facebook. Before you can add them as friends, you have to send  each of  your husband's friends a "Friend  Request" on Facebook.

It's up to each individual, whether he wants to accept your "Friend Request". When he receives your Friend Request, he must indicate "Accept" or "Decline" (or, he could just ignore it).  If he accepts, then his  name will automatically appear in your list of friends,  and you'll know that he accepted your request and he is now a  friend of yours  on Facebook. 

You don't need your husband's permission to send anyone on Facebook  a Friend Request.

If your husband's already jealous of this guy the worst thing you could so is try to get closer to him on social media. There's just no reason this would be necessary.

• Ocimom

Are you serious?  My husband and I have the many mutual friends of both sexes.

I can't believe you're a grown, married adult woman. This sounds like a thirteen year old wrote it (one probably did!). What adult woman asks for permission to make a friend request on facebook? LOL

Sounds a bit dangerous to me. You need to get out more and form new friendships - not just rely on your husband and his friends and just a couple of your old school friends who you don't see very often. You are shaping up very gradually to this mate of your husband and that's not good for you or your marriage. Instead of living your life online, be brave. Join a social club - even just a ladies only club or a gym or classes where you'll learn something with other strangers with whom you'll have the class in common. You sound like a very nice person. Be friendly and smiley and non-threatening and you'll find people will talk to you and thus gain more acquaintances and build a bit of interest in your life outside of the home and your husband. You'll be more interesting to him as well as you'll have more conversation to talk about your day. You sound far too isolated to me. It may be by choice and you may blame this on shyness - but you need to get out and about and live a real life - not just an online one where you 'like' what other people say. Good luck.....and keep away from your husband's friend. He'll get the wrong idea and then your husband will get the wrong idea too and it'll all end in tears.....yours!

• chris n

I'm right.  Look at your update.  You are thinking about this guy and feeling sorry for him.  He's filling your thoughts and that's not good news.

I think it would be best to at least mention this to your husband before you add this guy. You don't have to ask his permission, just let him know you're adding him.

• Alan H

If you are both happy with that, why not?

7 years, a long time!    At 50 we are only novices!

And it is lovely!

• funny

Don’t you may feel trapped in future !