Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Does wrong O2 sensor cause Exhaust fume escape into cabin?

Does wrong O2 sensor cause Exhaust fume escape into cabin? My check engine light reads code about O2 sensor as someone cut and stole my O2 sensor with catalyst converter at auto repair parking lot. I smell exhaust gas as long as car is on even though mechanic found a random catalytic converter with non-compatible O2 sensor from junk yard. Is that the reason I have headache since this morning? I stayed at home the whole weekend, was the exhaust gas produced just 20 minute driving to work in Monday morning the reason to cause my headache?

The usua; cause is a dirty THROTTEL BODY< IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE and the use of very CHEAP oil instead of REAL SYNTHETIC OIL made with the SPEC NUMBERS of your vehicle! This is different from VISCOSITY ratings alone! AUDI requires 502/505 oil ONLY! BMW requires LONG LIFE -01 or 03 oil ONLY< e.g.! ALL CARS use flilds with SPEC NUMBERS using unrated fluids or cheap fluids always cause issues! THE FACTORY FILL oils are usually the best ones to tuse. If the TB or the IAC is dirty from sludge, it offsets the beauty of the AIR/FUEL mixtures and VOILA you have exzxhause issues coming on! IF THE CEL light is on, TRSUT IT! It is WARNING YOU that something in the fuel mixture id BAD or the fconerter is over heating! I ahve cars with all original EXHAUSTS and CONVERTERS and O2 sensors using ONLY Proper spec oil and jkeepping these vital sensors CLEAN as SHOWROOM! Do NOT be afraid to PWOER WASH your engine eeither as a CLEAN ENIGNE dissipates heeat more EVENLY and thing work their best! BYE NOW

NO, the leaking exhaust system is causing it.

I need to replace rear end gasket so exhaust wouldn’t be loud when I rev up engine over 1500rpm, that’s beside the wrong non-compatible O2 sensor. It sounds like it’s leak under driver’s or passenger side not rear tho. 

gas exhaust leaks into  passenger /driver section is NOT related to wrong sensor or sensor  fail .not working etc . have. exhaust system checked for leaks .these. often occur to to gas leaks near bulkhead and get drawn in to cabin. important to get fixed.

I've run a broken exhaust for months without a cat (aka, tweakers stole my cat and ran headers with no cat.)  Unless you cut a hole in the floor and piped it into the cabin, it is not your issue.

The exhaust is going to your cabin and you also might have an exhaust leak.  That is all.  If you have a Ford Explorer, there have been issues with the exhaust going to the cabin.