Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Do you think people have bad manners these days? why?

I'm an adult  and I really think people used to be more Friendly and polite back in the 90s.   Most people are kinda "stuck up" ***** these days and they dont care about anything.    What do you think?  and what caused it?

• Misty

we live in a world where relationships now are based on technology. You find dates via your phone,  instead of having a meal in your home sitting down with someone, you use your phone to have a stranger deliver your food, instead of having someone pump your gas and chatting, you pay at the pump and see no one... everything is done by technology and people quite honestly aren't getting enough face to face experience in relationships and manners.

When reading the scriptures, the book of 2 Timothy 3:1 states: “But know this, in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. Verses 2-4 list the characteristics people will have in the last days i.e., “being lovers of themselves…haughty…unthankful…having no natural affection…fierce…without love of goodness…puffed up with pride”

I think the scriptures are being fulfilled and that is one reason why so many have bad manners these days.

you guys are confused between personality and manners.....

yes--today my coworker was so busy playing on the phone that she sneezed on me without covering her mouth...people are disgusting and self centered.

Why?  Because their parents never taught them this stuff.

Historically speaking?  Yes.  

Why?  Because good manners have failed to be taught to children who grow to become ill mannered adults who have children of their own, whom they are ill-equipped to teach proper manners nor are involved in any other institutions that teach proper manners.  Thus the problem perpetuates itself and grows as the population grows.  

Why did people stop teaching manners?  That is tougher.  Perhaps the increase in teen pregnancy following the sexual revolution of the late 1960's.  Perhaps the creation of the welfare state and the general laziness assumed by its recipients.  Perhaps the less critical scholastic curricula of public schools.  Perhaps how religious institutions have become a lower priority in people's lives.  To be honest, I am just shooting in the dark and really don't know what caused it.  Interesting question though.

In this modern, fast-paced world many people are seemingly are more focused on themselves and their own needs, with little or no regard for those around them. This does not automatically suggest there is a deliberate dismissing of others, but rather the attention on self is all consuming. However, some people will choose to purposely display perceived rude, abrupt and/or inappropriate conduct when interacting with others.

• linkus86

Being polite doesn't prohibit one from being selfish.

I agree with you, people today have bad manners. a few years ago I was in Walmart and heading out with my kids who are adults. I was right near the door and a man opened the door for him and his wife and closed the door right in my face. I told him thank you for holding the door for me and I kept walking with my kids and he had the nerve to send his wife to start cussing at me, she looked like a fool because I just kept walking and did not even answer her and people where looking at her. 

i think some do but not everybody

No offense, but I personally think human nature has always been roughly the same. It’s just about luck/context (environment). I do think that culture does play into it (like in Germany smiling for no reason is seen as loony), but I can’t say I’ve really noticed a huge shift in the population over the years.

• linkus86

Comparing manners to human nature is like comparing apples and oranges.  I think you might have misunderstood the question.