Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 3 weeks ago

Is it wrong to ask your grandfather  to buy you a car?

So my parents cannot afford to buy me a car and also pay for insurance. I want to get a job but I can’t if I don’t have a car, and I don’t have anyone that can give me a ride to a job. So I want to ask my grandpa to buy me a car so I can get a job and over time pay him back. I honestly don’t know how to ask him, and I know my dad would be upset if I did ask him.

Yes, in this case it would be wrong. Parents house, parents rules. 

• james

Yes it is. Grandfathers enjoy a laugh every now & then. 

• Erik

I would hate to be in that position, because most people are pretty selfish.  That's a lot of money to loan someone.  Just find a job you can do without owning a car.

• Jay P

Only you can ultimately decide what is right or wrong but I wouldn't be comfortable asking any of my grandparents to buy me a vehicle, or anyone else for that matter.

While I was in school I worked part time jobs after school and on weekends to save up money.  It took me a few years but I bought my first vehicle with money I earned..  I used public transportation as well as walked and bicycled to get to those jobs.

DO NOT ask him to do such a thing. That's a nasty idea. Take the bus, walk or ride your bike.

Yes it's wrong ! A car is a luxury you obviously can't afford......take Ubers

Carpool

Ride a bike

Walk

i dont think so

Boo hoo. I walked a mile after school to my job.

Definitely get your parents approval first. I also had to do a double take, so, in the future, phrase it as “loaning money for a car” or something similar. I thought you were set on begging for a free car. If you used the headline of this question on your parents they would shut down, lol. Not a full answer but I figured I’d give a little advice, sorry! If your parents are fine with it then it’s totally up to you. Personally I’d recommend not owing money to family, but... if it’s your only option...