Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 3 weeks ago

Is it wrong to ask your grandfather  to buy you a car?

So my parents cannot afford to buy me a car and also pay for insurance. I want to get a job but I can’t if I don’t have a car, and I don’t have anyone that can give me a ride to a job. So I want to ask my grandpa to buy me a car so I can get a job and over time pay him back. I honestly don’t know how to ask him, and I know my dad would be upset if I did ask him.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, in this case it would be wrong. Parents house, parents rules. 

• james
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes it is. Grandfathers enjoy a laugh every now & then. 

• Erik
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I would hate to be in that position, because most people are pretty selfish.  That's a lot of money to loan someone.  Just find a job you can do without owning a car.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Only you can ultimately decide what is right or wrong but I wouldn't be comfortable asking any of my grandparents to buy me a vehicle, or anyone else for that matter.

While I was in school I worked part time jobs after school and on weekends to save up money.  It took me a few years but I bought my first vehicle with money I earned..  I used public transportation as well as walked and bicycled to get to those jobs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, in this case it would be wrong. Parents house, parents rules. 

• 3 weeks ago

DO NOT ask him to do such a thing. That's a nasty idea. Take the bus, walk or ride your bike.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes it's wrong ! A car is a luxury you obviously can't afford......take Ubers

Carpool

Ride a bike

Walk

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i dont think so

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Boo hoo. I walked a mile after school to my job.

• 3 weeks ago

Definitely get your parents approval first. I also had to do a double take, so, in the future, phrase it as “loaning money for a car” or something similar. I thought you were set on begging for a free car. If you used the headline of this question on your parents they would shut down, lol. Not a full answer but I figured I’d give a little advice, sorry! If your parents are fine with it then it’s totally up to you. Personally I’d recommend not owing money to family, but... if it’s your only option...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.