Weird car window sound?

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has a clue what this is. 

When I drive I keep hearing a strange sound coming from my passenger side window and my drivers side window. I don’t believe it’s in the back windows. (Front are electric and back are wind down). 

The only way I can describe the sound is as if lots of really little stones were gently blown into each window. I guess you could kind of compare the noise to rain as well. 

I’m not really concerned as it isn’t an engine issue etc but what is this?  

For info- it is rather cold at the moment where I am, was freezing conditions but fine now. I have been using my heater a bit, but mainly just to de-mist my windscreen in the morning. 

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

Are you sure it's not just the loose marbles in your head rolling around? Maybe some fell out and got inside the door.

• hayley4 weeks agoReport

This did make me chuckle but no, I have been visiting family this week and managed to (wasn’t particularly hard) convince my dad to let me drive him to the pub. He confirmed I’m not insane, and also had no idea 

• GA41

I would speculate that the motor which raises your window is still turning. Because the window is closed, the gears are slipping accounting for the sounds of stones hitting the window. Is it possible the window switches are stuck in the operating position? I would try to find the fuses to the window circuit and pull it out, this will shut the motor down. If pulling the fuse makes stops the noise, then the motor is probably the issue.

• hayley4 weeks agoReport

Possibly if it makes that noise! I have tried putting them down and up again and it made no difference. Tomorrow I may force myself to drive (despite raining) with them down to see if that still causes it! It’s almost like if you were to pour rice onto a hard surface when you turn corners driving! 

It's a sound comes to a stop it's a temperature change. If the sound never stops even after the engine is warm it could be electrical problem. If the sound never stops no matter what it could be wind blowing into the wind passages