Strange pain happening to me...what could this be?

For the past year, once every couple of months, I wake up in the middle of the night with a severe cramping/stabbing pain in my upper and middle abdomen near ribs (pain is on left, middle and right side). It is so bad to the point where I’m not sure if it is appendicitis, or food poisoning. The pain is on and off but subsides after a few hours. I find it helps when I take gas x. But it is hard for me to pass gas or defecate when I’m having this pain. This just happened to me last night. I’ve noticed for the past few days I have constantly been slightly queasy. I am not pregnant. I’m wondering what these symptoms could mean. Thank you for taking the time to read this! 

• Edna

Ask your doctor to check you for gall bladder disease and gall stones. The pain is somewhat similar to what you describe. Pain is caused when one of the tiny gall stones is trying to pass through the bile duct and gets somewhat "stuck" for a few hours. If you don't have it taken care of, the pain will keep on increasing in frequency and intensity as time goes on  You MIGHT have to have your gall bladder removed.

Gall stones are diagnosed with a simple ultrasound. 

• Steven

As per it, it can be gastric problem, you have to take dinner before the 1 hour to get sleep, and after dinner you have to walk, and take hot water like a tea, it will help you get rid of, and ignore oily food, that is main reason for it. 

Reflux, gastritis or bad trapped wind. I am guessing probably reflux; try getting  something like Gavescon, take it before bed, raise the top of your bed several inches, do not eat after 8 PM and cut down on coffee, booze and greasy food.

If not improvement, see a dr in case it's gallbladder related.

Its likely just gas built up in your ribs...

symptoms of costochondritis

see a doctor and get an ultrasonogram

of the whole abdomen to find out

if you have kidney stones or gall bladder

stones

• Bill

appendicitis in low on the right side

what is wrong with seeing a doctor

You have a kidney stone. And it's going to get bigger you need to get rid of the kidney stone. Get yourself some chanca piedra tablets and take three a day for an entire month. Some people say it works some people say it does absolutely nothing. But after your 30 days is up you're going to drink the Coca-Cola Purge.

One six pack of sugar free caffeine-free Coca-Cola each and every day for a week. After you've done that you're going to drink 32 oz of water every 2 hours for a week. Get yourself some kumquats or some bitter orange extract and drink a little bit of bitter orange extract with your water or eat a few kumquats with the peeling. By the end of the week that kidney stone should either wash its way out of your body. Or you will know that it's so big that you have to go for surgery to get it gone. This regime will cleanse your body of a lot of little stones and it'll clean your intestines out.

Eat less, eat smaller portions, chew thoroughly, variety in your diet.

It could be a number of things, including gall bladder related.

The recurrences would indicate that it's time to see a doctor about what's wrong before it gets worse.