JL asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 4 weeks ago

FREEZING FOOD.?

We've ;had a turkey in the freezer since before thanksgiving. We're thawing it out. I'm sure we'll have leftover turkey.... I heard somewhere you shouldn't refreeze meats is this true? Thanks

I've never had a problem with refreezing cooked meats. I seal them in a vacuum bag and they seem to stay good for a year or more.

Once its cooked you could freeze it for a month. After that it will lose quality

Meats can be frozen after cooking, as long as they’re carefully double wrapped and used within a reasonable time frame. While cookbooks often state they can be safely stored for months, and while still safe, the integrity is lost due to dryness and often freezer burn.

• ckngbbbls

freezer burn is from inadequate wrapping and appears as white dry spots. If the food is wrapped correctly, it won't freezer burn.

if that is a raw frozen turkey you can cook the turkey and re- freeze it...if it is a cooked turkey ...yup--polish off that turkey!

You absolutely can thaw raw meat, cook it then freeze it once it's cooked.   There is zero food safety issue there.

That being said, turkey is a meat that doesn't hold up quite as well in the freezer.   It works well to cut it up and freeze it for things like soup and casseroles like turkey tetrazzini (my favorite!).   If you want to thaw it and have another roast turkey dinner, you'll want to do that within a few weeks of freezing it.

Using a vac-packer really helps preserve frozen meat (both raw and cooked) much better than ziplock bags. 

• Mark

Yes, quite true.  The quality of re-frozen meat isn't very good.  You could make soup and freeze THAT, though.