Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 4 weeks ago

Best used car around $5k?

I’m looking into a used car to replace my 99 F150. I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of cars. 

2010-12 Ford Fusion I4 Between 100-120k mileage

2013 Hyundai Veloster Manual 80k-100k miles

2011 Hyundai Elantra

I’m avoiding Toyota’s and Honda’s (sounds stupid) but for $5k, I can barely find either that’s newer than 2008 and less than 140k miles. 

I’m leaning towards the Fusion because I love the styling but I’ve heard automatic transmission issues about them. I don’t like Hyundai’s much but I can find tons of low mileage for about $5k and quite a few with manual transmissions. I know their quality can be either good or bad. What choices would you prefer or do you have experience? I’m planning on keeping this car for 5-7 years as it will be a college commuter and driving road trips. I’m really leaning towards the fusion but I’m scared of auto issues. Thoughts or experiences with any of these vehicles? Or have any vehicle suggestions that I haven’t listed?

All used cars are a crapshoot.

New car prices have skyrocketed over the last decade or so - and used cars have followed suit.  Some places are extremely proud of their used crap - I had a place look me in the eye while honestly asking $8K+ for a Mazda 3 Hatchback that looked like it had been run up against a guard rail or something.  $5K isn't gonna get you a whole lot of car these days.

There's just no way of knowing how the previous owner drove the car, how well they maintained it (unless they kept immaculate records), but even if they babied it, random stuff can just fail - leaving you with a big repair bill (and some cars quickly turn into money pits).

About all you can do is make sure to take any potential purchase for a good test drive - get it warmed up - and take it up to speed, hit the brakes a few times, take it around some curves, and get an idea if it shakes, has any rattles, etc.

Most people suggest taking a potential purchase to a mechanic to get a once over - it's not a bad idea because they might catch major red flags, but it's not a guarantee.  If you know anyone who knows a little about cars you might have them look at it.

If the person/dealership selling the car won't let you have it looked at it, or acts offended when you point out potential issues, walk away.  (In fact, be willing to walk away at any time - don't fall in love with a car, salesmen can sense it, and they'll take you to the cleaners.

If you do purchase a used vehicle from a lot. make sure to stay on it for the first couple of weeks, because if it has some kind of major issue most states have 'lemon laws' and if you can prove that they knew the vehicle had a problem (sometimes easier said than done) then you can force them to take it back and refund your money.

Good luck!

I'd look for a GM Impala, Malibu, Buick or a Pontiac.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Id look for Mazda, Hyundai or Kia via a private party only. You are likely to save $500-800 or so. And keep a look out for Honda/Toyota too. Don't rule them out.

Manual transmissions should go for less because they are harder to sell. Of course the same goes when you eventually want to sell.

This is going to be based on your requirements and the cars available in your area.

- single owner cars and dealer maintained cars are always best

• .

A used Matrix or Vibe.  They have tons of room when you fold down the back seat and the gas mileage is 30+ per gallon.