WiseMan asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Can buying lunch everyday cause weight gain even if you have fast metabolism?

I'm in my mid-thirties and throughout my life, I've been blessed to have fast metabolism. I used to bring my own PB&J lunch to work everyday, but would enjoy eating fast food on weekends, and every night, I would eat junk food like cookies and donuts. No matter how much junk food I ate and despite eating fast food on weekends, I would always remain thin and never gain weight.

However, last month, I started buying food five days a week for lunch while I'm at work. My main reason for doing this is because I like taking a break and getting out of the office to eat, rather than being forced to eat at my desk. But I noticed that in just a little over a month, I was starting to gain a little bit of belly fat. So I weighed myself and lo and behold, I gained 10 pounds!!

My only significant change in diet is the eating out everyday for lunch. But most people at work do it and don't have health problems or weight problems. So, how can that cause that for me, especially since I have fast metabolism?

Favorite Answer

How that happens is first of all there's a thing called skinny fat. It really throws people off. They're usually naturally skinny and have a fast metabolism but they have a high body fat percentage. It sounds weird I know but it's a thing and also it's not realistic or healthy to eat fast food everyday and expect to not gain weight. Keeping that kind of mentality will make it to where you eventually gain more unhealthy weight. You already see it happening so if you don't wanna continue to gain that kind of weight you need to cut down on the junk food and maybe start doing cardio five days a week and start eating clean. 

Also it doesn't make any sense to compare yourself to other people you don't know if they workout or not, you don't know what their diet looks like outside of work, you don't know their body type or what their genes are like. Everyone is different. You're better off making healthy food for the week to take to work with you. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating cheat meals once or twice a week to keep your sanity if you're at your goal already however eating unhealthy food all the time will cause health issues, you're not gonna feel your best, your self esteem will take a major hit especially with you being so used to being thin, it's gonna shorten your lifespan, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity etc. those are all things that could happen to you if you're not careful. The risk goes up even higher the more weight you gain and abdominal fat is very dangerous it's the one place that doctors worry about in patients who aren't in shape. Be careful and take care of yourself. Good luck.

Well you don't say WHAT you buy for your lunch or what the rest of your diet even is, so it's impossible to say. 

What most people at work do is irrelevant. Everyone is different. 

Metabolism is a number that indicates how much energy your body(mostly muscles) burn a day to sustain life. You can’t have a fast metabolism without training or having a muscle mass. Ask your colegues how much they are actuve or train.

Naturally thin people don't have fast metabolisms. They just naturally eat the right amount with little/no effort. 

You are gaining weight because you are eating more calories than you need. Go back to your regular lunch or just be mindful when eating out. Check the calorie count on things and don't eat a full meal if its high calorie. 

• Chris

Maybe you actually don't have a fast metabolism, maybe you never really ate all that much to begin with.

• Eva

In your mid-thirties your metabolism is starting to slow down. Most restaurant or fast food meals have at least 800 calories and many are well over a thousand. Learn to make better choices. Salads aren't always the best choice as whatever else is on them and the dressing you choose can make them as many calories as a cheeseburger. Eat at your desk a few times week and take the rest of your lunch break to take a walk.

it isn't the buying of the lunch but the calories in that lunch that are the problem.  At your age, your metabolism will naturally slow down -- it happens to everyone.  If you also work a desk job, you probably need to start paying more attention to the calories in any food you eat and make better choices. 

Consider doing the following:

1. use a BMI chart to determine a healthy weight range for your body (BMI 18-24).

2. Use a BMR or TDEE calculator to determine how many calories your body needs.

3. Use an app like MyFitnessPal to record what you eat so that you can decide if having a Big Mac meal at over 1,000 calories is the right choice and or if you choose something else or cut back on other meals.  

Well yeah, considering that as opposed to a PB and J, whatever you buy has likely far more calories, it can.

Also your metabolism slows with age.

• cmac'm

Your body is changing. You can't always eat like you are in college. Elevate your heart rate (workout) and eat more vegetables young man

One little daddy, turtleneck, one little daddy, turtleneck, I want the bleep blah, on your way (little daddy)