How should restaurants take orders?

Should they make the orders in a row as is the tradition...

Or if someone has a custom combo order or 2 that will take a little time

Do the small order after him first.  The small order may take 30 seconds and get him out of the way.  

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Restaurants don't 'take orders', this is the job of the wait staff.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The job is "expediter". Many restaurants have a person working with that actual title. In others it's just up to the crew to do it on the fly. What it basically means is what you ask - the burger takes 10 minutes and the fries take 5 so you drop the fries halfway through the burger so everything is hot and fresh. And it goes to the whole kitchen - the fried chicken takes 10+ minutes so get it going and do these quicker dishes while it is cooking. No, I have never worked it. But it's a whole art in restaurants - getting hot food to the table all at the right time and leaving nobody waiting. Tip: do not EVER serve most of a table and leave somebody sitting while theirs still cooks. Everybody eats or nobody eats.

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 days agoReport

If you're ordering "food in a line" you generally expect your order to come out before the ones behind you, unless theirs was a simpler, perhaps prefab, order as compared to your specialized request. For instance, a cup of coffee and a danish could be delivered while someone else makes your BLT.

• 1 month ago

If you are a preceding customer who gets skipped...how would you feel about the fancy order getting their food first.  Yeah...me too...I wouldnt be back. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 days agoReport

The simple order might get bumped up because the big/complex order was PRESUMED to take longer, so they're not likely to object to letting others get served while their order is being completed.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends on the kind of restaurant.

In fast food, first come, first served.

In restaurants with table service, all meals for that table should be brought to the table at the same time at the appropriate temperature.   However the kitchen accomplishes that is up to them.   

ETA:  I would agree with you.   Someone who orders 100 ought to expect a bit of a wait and that the world isn't going to stop turning for everyone else. 

• Joey1 month agoReport

(exaggerating the numbers here, but this is just to prove a point)
      lets say first cx orders 100 hamburgers
      Second cx orders 1 hamburger
      The wait is 1 hour for 100 hamburgers and 1 min for 1 hamburger
      Do you serve cx 1 or cx 2 first?

I will say cx 2.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.