Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 3 weeks ago

Can I file taxes without W2s?

Last year was my first year working, though I went to a few different cities/states. Never short enough to never get any papers mailed to me, though. I always signed W2 forms online and I thought that was literally it since everything is done by technology now. My mom told me to go file and I was excited but my aunt told me I need my W2 forms before I could, and that it should be mailed after my first check or something. Every job I worked I never got mailed anything, not even a check cause it was direct deposit. Is there any way I can still file or even request W2s from the past places I’ve worked in 2019?

Yes, you can for sure file taxes without it

• Amy

Form W2 is a summary of how much they paid you and how much tax you paid. They create the form and mail it in January, not when you leave the job. 

Since you've moved around a lot, your previous employers might not have your current mailing address. You should call them and request that they re-send the form.

A copy of the W2 is also sent to the IRS, so if you can't get one from your employer, wait until March and then request it from the IRS. They will charge a fee for this. 

• ctc453

Go ahead and try. 

You've got some time - the deadline isn't until April 15th.

Start calling the places you worked for and give them your new address to send W2's to, or see if they can tell you how to access them online (if possible).

You can use some free software like TaxACT to punch all of the information into and see if you get a return (or more importantly, if you owe money).

$1 is enough to get a W-2.

They are supposed to give you one either in person or by mail unless you agreed to receive it online. You are not supposed to have to ask for it.

If you don't get it, then ask for it. And if you still haven't gotten it by February 15, then call the IRS. They'll send you a substitute form so that you can file without the W-2 (but only if you call after February 15, not if you call earlier), and the employer will be in a lot of trouble for not giving you the W-2.

You need the forms, yes. You can get them online for some employers.

You did not sign W2 forms online - you signed W4 forms. There's an important difference. The W4 is a form that your employer uses to calculate how much tax to withhold from your paychecks.

The W2 is a form they give you at the end of the year showing your total earnings, total tax withheld and other important information that you'll need in order to file your tax return.

Your aunt is correct, you must have your W2 from every employer that paid you in 2019 before you can file your return.

Employers are required to give or mail them to you by Janissary 31st. You don't need to request it - but you do need to make sure they have your current mailing address or that you have active mail forwarding set up with the post office so that mail sent to your old address will be forwarded to your current address.

Employers are allowed to provide the W2 by handing it to you in person or making it available via an online portal but when all else fails they will still put a paper copy in an envelope and mail it to whatever address they have on file for you.

So you'll need to contact each employer and ask them if they have an option to receive it electronically and figure out how to log in to that employer's portal. Or just make sure you have mail forwarding and wait for them to arrive by mail.

• Eva

Be patient. Your employers have until January 31 to mail you your W2s. They may be available on line from each one as well. Hopefully your past employers have your correct address. Be aware that if you had state income taxes withheld in different states, you will have to file a return in each of those states in order to get a refund. This can be complicated. The state is indicated in box 15 on the W2. BTW you signed W4 forms, not W2.

*Sigh*.    W-2s do not need to be postmarked until January 31.   You need to wait until you receive them. 

If you haven't received them by mid February, call your prior employers and request a duplicate.

Did you make sure your former employers have your current address?  

• n2mama

Your former employers have to send your W2s by Jan 31. If you haven’t received them by mid Feb, then you can contact the former employers and ask. But you need the information from them to be able to file your taxes.