Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

My washer has suddenly started shrinking my clothes. What should I do about it?

I wash my clothes on cold. I've been washing the same clothes the same way for years. Suddenly, my washer has started shrinking my shirts. I ruled out the dryer by washing another load and hang drying it. They still shrunk. I checked that the water was still coming out cold and it is. I dunno how to fix a washer. Help.

I don't have dry clean clothes. And besides, I've had the same t shirts for like ten years, washing them the same way. The issue is the washer

The clothes are visibly shrunk compared to others that I have not washed. I just wanna know how to fix the washer, not try to convince everyone it's broken

Y'all are ridiculous. I'm still wearing shirts that I haven't washed in my own machine recently. I can hold them up to shirts washed in my machine and there is an EXTREMELY NOTICABLE SIZE DIFFERENCE between shirts washed AT THE LAUNDROMAT and shirts washed IN MY MACHINE. Thank you, to the one person who answered. I will be purchasing a new machine because I just simply don't know how to fix it and can't get anyone to believe there is a problem.

Favorite Answer

I had the same thing happen after a washer repair.

- after a lot of googling - I believe the issue that the spin cycle is causing too much friction and it heats the clothes.

I couldn't ever figure out how to fix it because the repair people never believed me.  I eventually sold the machine. 

4 days ago

agree with the 1st answer

I'm no detective, but didn't your clothes start shrinking just about the same time you won that month of free Haagen Dazs ..?

• F

Mine does the same. It started about the time I stopped cycling. It gets even worse around Christmas.

use gentle wash cycle,,,, set the clothes to dry on a removed window screen placed on top of the bathtub rims,,put a fan in there,or aim the AC  vent duct at the spot,see what happens when they air dry slowwww,

you might try hand washing laundry in the sink,same measure with the screen on the bathtub rim

Lol. It's you getting fatter! You are just in denial.

It is not the washer.   YOU are just getting "Expanding" or filling out.   I noticed that when I gained 30 lbs, many shirts I can not wear and many pants I can not wear(brand new Jeans)  I got to drop 30 lbs. to fit into those tight clothes.

Maybe your breast size is increasing. You got HOOTERS instead of small mounds?

I once was in a dilemma thinking that my washing machine shrunk my clothes and I found a solution. I went on a diet and soon enough all my clothes fit me, like they used to.

• Equaliser

Very funny love it just love it 

• elhigh

It isn't the washer.  Something else has changed.  If you're using the same washer now that you were using before, and it's putting in the same temperature water and you're using the same detergent, it isn't the washer.

If it's the same clothes - and that's possible, I wore one shirt for about 20 years before it finally wore out - then the only thing left that could change is...you.

So either you're doing something different, or something about you is fitting into the clothes differently.

Everyone suggesting you're gaining weight is probably on the right track, or at least righter than blaming the washer.

[edit]

Responding to your update: you don't need to convince me that the washer is broken, because it isn't.

You checked the one thing that could have had any effect: water temperature.  You said it's the same.  Well, that's the ball game.  If you're like most people you pretty much choose the same cycle every time, for this load or that load (heavy for jeans, lighter for socks/t-shirts, etc.).  If you're still doing that then there are no more variables to examine.  It isn't the machine.

• drip

Perhaps the water isn’t cold, but hot and that is what is shrinking them??. It could be in the rinse cycle

• God

Maybe you are getting fat.  ha, ha