Rin asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

What does it mean when your cat tries to steal CEREAL out of your bowl?

I know he’s not hungry right now. And cats aren’t meant to like cereal. Yet he’s hanging out next to my plate full of whole grain spelt and barley flakes, acting as if I’m eating chicken. Then occasionally grabs a flake and runs away with it like a prize, then comes back. It’s funny, but I’m confused

Favorite Answer

Cats like cereal, especially if there's milk in the area.  Just because they're obligate carnivores does not mean they don't like things that aren't considered normal in their diet.  I had a cat who loved mangos, pumpkin, corn on the cob, and watermelon.  Grabbing a flake IS a prize to him...stealing from other cats (and you're just a big funny looking cat to him) is instinctive.  Running off with it is also instinctive as he's protecting his "prized catch" from other "predators." Just enjoy it.  That's a part of JOCO (Joy Of Cat Ownership) and one of the reasons they are so delightful.

• Bec

One of mine tries anything. The other is obsessed with fruit cake and icing. Literally climbs up me to get to it

It may think that the cereal is cat food. Or it may want to play with it, because it may have seen the cereal move and think that it is a small animal.

Maybe he's eating some fiber to cough up a hairball 

He's STARVING. Clearly you're feeding an absolutely **** food made mostly of corn and no real meat.

• Ocimom

Our pets often eat weird things that are not found in natural food.  Why?  No one really knows.  Could be the smell they are attracted to, or the shape.  Some of our cats like eating potato chips and peanuts or brocolli.  None of this is natural but they like the taste.  They don't get more then a taste or two and they do eat their normal food.  As long as the cat is not eating too many pieces or trying to drink the cow's milk (which can give them loose stools or tummy upset), then don't worry about it.

Obviously, your kitty is in his teenage. You can expect a little rebellion.

• abdul

It means he wants what you're having.

Life would be so boring without these wonderful,  quirky creatures in our life. 

It means that you've won in life and have a great kitty who thinks you're a bigger, uglier kitty to play with, steal from, and be a brat to. Anne's answer is SPOT ON. My cat will do the same, and my best friend's cat (R.I.P.) would hook her paw around any utensil while you were eating and try to guide it to her own mouth. Doesn't matter if they like it or not, it's all fun to them.

• PAMELA

I would not find it funny, do you know that a cat's mouth is brimming with nasty bacteria? shut it out of the room when you et.