Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Is repenting in your head enough to God or do you have to go to some church to repent?

Favorite Answer

1 "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

5 I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah" (Psalm  32:1-5)!

• norine3 weeks agoReport

"PROVE YOUR MINISTRY" (II Timothy 4:5)!

If you believe JESUS doing the baptizing (Jn 1:33) the "one baptism" (Eph 4:5) that is "PERFECT" (Acts 18:26; Ps 18:30) is "trusting in her works for salvation" you're the BIGGEST FOOL there ever was calling himself a Christian.

According to Acts 3:19 you have to repent & turn around so that the seasons of refreshing can come from Jehovah. This would mean you would have to make an effort not to repeat the wrongdoing so as to gain Jehovah’s forgiveness & have true repentance. 

• Alan H

If the repentance is genuine, God knows

Read 1 John 1:9

But that is not the main point of Church attendance.

Scripture tells us to gather together. That way, we support each other  

I believe repenting with your heart is enough to God, you don't have to go to church to enter Heaven.

No.

All repentance requires at least the following:

1. Admitting that you've done something wrong.

2. Regretting it.

3. Giving it up forever.

4. Making what amends we can for it that won't cause further harm. This includes paying out debt to society.

5. Replacing it with good works.

In the case of serious sins, it also requires the assistance and counseling of a religious leader.

• Paul

We can repent anywhere.

• GB

God is supposed to be everywhere at the same time, and if  He exists then what matters is that your repentance is sincere.  If you really think being in a church matters, then you  do you think there is no point  in someone who is dying, but can't get to a church, or have a priest etc come to them (for example someone trapped in a house fire.) repenting?

I wouldnt repaint in your head.   That would surely be dangerous.  Repainting a church would take some time, but would be safer.  Pink with yellow spots would look nice.

Location is irrelevant. There is no need to be in any particular building or state your repentance to any particular person. It's between you and God. But before the truth about repenting can lodge in your head, it has to affect your heart first. Only then will your mind realize just what is needed. First, read John 16:7-15. Biblical repentance is not merely to change one’s opinion, or to do what pagans did upon seeing Paul survive a snake bite. Acts 28:2 says they “changed their mind” about Paul being a murderer, and acclaimed him as a god. The Greek word for that change of mind is ‘metaballo’ but biblical repentance requires ‘metanoia’ – the mind itself has to be changed. It’s not just some of the contents of the mind being changed. Repentance is to have a different mind. It has to become a new mind that works in a different way.

Biblical repentance can only happen once the sinful (and spiritually dead) human has had their mind, heart and will prepared for transformation. That is a work of the Holy Spirit, who is the One who then brings a previously dead mind, heart and will to spiritual life.  This transformation results in a new mind, a new heart, a new will. The explanation of this miracle is in Hebrews 8:6-13, too much to detail here.  One crucial point is that “the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned” – 1 Corinthians 2:14. Also, Hebrews 6:1 speaks of “repentance from dead works”. We cannot ‘work up’ this new mind, this entirely new way of thinking. 

Only the Spirit of God can transform our mind, to conform it to the mind of Christ. That is what repentance is all about. It’s not what we do, it’s what the Spirit of Christ does to those who have been prepared for this miracle of grace by heeding the message that will cause them to agree with God. And God has publicly declared, at Golgotha, His righteousness in judging all sin by punishing His sinless Son. A repentant person acclaims the righteousness of God, agreeing with God, because God has now given them a new mind on the matter, and thereafter they see everything differently – spiritually. And this is to the glory of God. 

• yesmar

It's not just in your head and it's not in a church.  "Turning around" is a life-long occupation of walking with Jesus instead of against him.